Problems with truck, question on ATF in filter

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck has been sitting most of the winter, I would crank every so often and let if idle for a while. The other day I drove it up town, and thought I had run out of diesel as I have the dreaded 1/4 tank blues. Truck seemed to run fine at highway speeds, but when I let out of it to turn into gas station it died. I coasted to the pump and put diesel in, truck fired up immediately. My problem is truck is sluggish on throttle and dies when you pop the accelerator (when it's returning to idle). From reading sounds like metering device in pump. Are you guys using straight ATF in the filter to clean up the injection pump. My idea is to fill a new filter with regular ATF and start truck let it run for 1 minute then sit for the evening. Is this the correct procedure and what I should use (Automatic Transmission Fluid)?

Thanks in advance.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can try this out. Any new ATF will work and make sure you use a new filter. I have personally found that a can of seafoam in the filter and top it off with ATF (because 1 can of seafoam won't completely fill the fuel filter) works even better. The added ATF also adds more lube than what seafoam offers. I have tried both methods and this one works best for me. Either way, give it a whirl.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel the same as has been posted above.. Really sounds like the metering valve is sticky. Either seafoam or ATF will clean it for you like you have posted. fill new filter. run it till the engine sounds differant. Shut it down and soak overnite. then run the wheels of it nest day.. Enjoy the new ride feel too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08