Priming Lube Oil - Oil Pressure???

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm finally going to be ready to crank the rebuilt engine this weekend (or maybe sooner!) just to get the oil circulating. My plan is to pull the glow plugs, disconnect the fuel solenoid wire, turn it over by hand a couple of times and then crank it with the starter.

How will I know when the oil is circulated enough? Will I be able to read any pressure on my mechanical oil pressure gauge? The engine was reassembled the end of last summer with assembly lube everywhere, and vaseline in the oil pump, so it should be good to go... (I HOPE!:rolleyes:)(Knock wood!!)

Once I crank it I have a few more things to take care of before actually starting it: Radiator, condensor, tranny cooler, fan, belts & hoses. Installing new gauges inside and trying to clean up my dash wiring a bit. (It's been real slow going this winter working outside! :rolleyes:) THEN I can try to start it!!! :thumbsup::eek::D

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a suction gun like is typically used to draw gear lube from a jug and push it into a gearbox. Its a 1/2" hose outlet on the gun that I then put a barbed to NPT fitting on the other end of the hose and use a NPT "T" fitting to the top most oil fitting on the engine. Usually where the oil pressure sending unit is. It takes a bit of pushing. but I can push 20 psi of pressure. Then when I crank it over I get oil pressure almost instantly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online