priming 6.9

olblue84

Reaction score
So i'm the tfng had small leak on my return line replaced and everything was fine got her home then started and died so replaced fuel filter and still nothing can anyone help:dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you refill the filter with fresh fuel?
that's all I do to help it along.
it's a self priming system, so crank the heck out of the starter to purge the air.
don't forget to give a a rest after 30sec of cranking though. about 2 mins is good.

olblue84

Reaction score
i put 50/50 stanayne and fuel in filter just tried your suggestion didn't work i checked to see if any air would come out of the bleeder valve i could'nt hear or feel any maybe pump what you think

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 6.9 i couldnt get started after putting motor in after rebuild. tried everthing, finally blew air in the fuel tank till it shot out tube at filter. once i got fuel, never had a problem after.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poster child for an electric fuel pump conversion.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are the fuel tank down to the 1/4 full mark??? If so you have broken off the suction pickups in both tanks. This is a very common problem. The cheap easy fix is never run down to 1/4 tank because it starts sucking air like the tank is mt. The other fix is adding some fuel rated hose to the bottom of the pickups in the tanks. The front tank is easy. You don't need to drop the tank. Just get under the truck and located the suction return lines at the top of the tank. A screwdriver knocking loose the ring and the float suction setup pulls out. Add about 4 inches of hose and cut a V in the end. Thats about it. Reinstalling the gauge suction setup is clocked to the tank by a pin on the sealing surface. A flashlite and your fingers will find it. The rear tank is much worse to drop or pull the bed for this kind of repair. Mine have been broken since 96 and I will fix the rear tank... Someday....:rolleyes:

olblue84

Reaction score
no fuel

both tanks are at least 3/4 full i heard from a neighbor that there is another fuel filter closer to the tank maybe fuel pump? :dunno when i replaced that fuel filter felt like a lot of suction on the filter wondering if trying to fix a problem made it worse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online