Powerstroke turbo or factory

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I have done the search and could not find what I was looking for. I have a powerstroke turbo and a factory one off of an ambulance. Which one will be the best for a daily driver? How much boost will I see out of each? I have a turbo pump, ported heads, Russ torque grind cam, ZF5 and a few other things I am sure I am missing.

Right now it is supercharged and I have been in a lul by life and weather. I have been able to get back on the horse and am about a weeks worth of work from having the SAS complete (provided the rain does not continue). After that, I am going to work on building the turbo kit. I have the up pipes, connector, and down pipe off of the powerstroke setup so even fabbing that will be a cakewalk. The blower only makes 8 psi on a good day and is usually about 5-7. I would like to at least double that with the turbo, so I am inclined to look towards the PS turbo. I have not been able to find anyone who has results, only saying that they SHOULD make about 14 with them.

How much do the factory turbo kits make? I could make the inlet for that pretty easily, or purchase it even easier. The down pipe for it would probably be the biggest challenge, and still an easy day. But if I cant make 14+ with it, its not really worth my time.

Thanks,
SWS

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
One way to look at it, the PSD turbos have endless support. Smaller housings, better wheels, up grade able to ball bearing, etc.
Years for each or turbo pic would be easier to see what you're working with.
If only one is gated, that's the one I would go with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can easily hit 15 with my modded 093. and I have some new tricks for it also that need to be tried.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Which one do you want to see pix of? The garrett or the BW? Both are wastegated.

SWS

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If both are wastegated, they should be the exact same turbo.
That's all I was getting at. So really no reason to choose one over the other.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
The factory powerstroke turbo mount is not very user friendly to adapt to the idi. I don't know you may have already came up with the solution. But for comparison my 97 7.3 when it had stock tune and a stock turbo would do about 14 ish unloaded. I changed to a billet wheel and 1.0 housing 160cc inj and tuned for towing 18 or so and it wont get hot. level 4 tune I seen 33 loaded, and very high egt. The stock obs trucks had the 4 bolt mount which is not the same as a t3 or t4 and the sd trucks had the v band wastegated turbo, same compressor wheel and bearings inside. The exhaust manifolds are different from idi to powerstroke. I do think van powerstrokes came with a larger a/r housing and no wastegate on the 99 up ones.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
They aren't the same turbo. The Garrett is a lot bigger. The powerstroke pushes more fuel and I don't wanna loose my low end power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So, how do I get more than 7 psi out of the factory turbo? I have seen more than a few guys who are only running at like 7 psi. There are a few that are just over 10, but I want even more than that. I can put the turbo anywhere I need, and have more of the stuff for the PS turbo (down pipe, up pipes, inlet flange, etc), and all I have is the factory turbo for the other. Its going to get an IC regardless, and more than likely it will be water to air. I can drill/tap the housing for the PS and its not a big deal. If I had the down pipe or just the flanges for the factory, it would be a little easier to decide, but before I go an put more money into it, I want to be sure I'm not going 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.

SWS

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to typ4 aka Russ. He has a few tricks up his sleeve when it comes to making max boost on a factory turbo setup. He can do a stock or performance build with all the bells & whistles.
It will be much easier to stick with a turbo kit made to fit your engine.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
I would stick to a stock turbo. It takes fuel to drive a turbo and make boost. The other solution would be a aftermarket s300 series turbo a smaller one of course. I would go that route before I would a stock power stroke turbo. Easier mounting more aftermarket support. If your gonna have to build it all anyways.... Or even a cummins hx35 would spool really low on the bigger 7.3

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, I guess I misunderstood.
I thought you were saying you had two powerstroke turbos. One from a e series and one from a f series.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I would need all the attachments for the bw like the exhaust down pipe flange, up pipe flange, and oil lines. I only lack the oil lines for the Garrett. Like I said, I'm more concerned about getting double digit boost numbers than adapting the turbo. But if Russ says I can get 15, I'll look into that.

Anyone know what these "tweaks" consist of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get more than 7 psi without adding more fuel, I'm running stock fuel (no adjustments on the injection pump).
When I added my tripod (pyro,boost,transmission gauges) I simply unhooked the waste gate because I didn't have enough hose to put a proper T in. I have seen as high as 11psi with an empty truck and 8/9 psi very quickly, with no smoke at all.

Last edited: