powerstroke to IDI swap

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that this pertains to you but...Its been my experiance that the smog ****'s at the test only places couldnt tell an idi from a 440 dodge. They seem to be the least mechanically inclined people on the planet. This is great for those of us that like to mod things.

My 76 ramcharger had a 318 originally and i played dumb when the kid typed in 318 instead of the 1969 440 that it had. I mean things like the distributer on the wrong end of the engine is a dead giveaway to anybody with 1\2 brain. I also saw a 454 in a late 70's camaro get passed as a 305. A 454 was never offered in a camaro. Put the smog stuff on it,pour oil and dirt on the valvecovers and play dumb!

So when dealing with those babboons dont offer any incriminating evidence. Or information.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Dash's are easy to find in the junkyard. $2500 does sound a little steep for a glorified boat anchor of a truck though... Not to discourage you from doing it, but you should be able to talk him down. If the fire was that intense, I say that the engine is toast. Too much internal damage to save it. That means his engine parts aren't worth diddly. Talk him down. Offer him 1500 (which is what the chassis and body are really worth) and see where he goes from there.

^^^That. A burnt truck is not worth $2,500.

The IDI upgrade would be pretty easy though, and smog is not even an issue, yet. Currently only '98 and newer diesels need to be 'smogged' in Kalifornia. That'll change eventually as long as CARB is allowed to exist in our state.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from fire damaged vehicles. The metal will be weakened and could be a huge safety issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online