Power Steering Pump Question for my 1988?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He people, before I get into this Job can you refresh my memory...on my 1988 F250 would the PS Pump v-belt 'pulley' be a press-fit on the shaft and will I need a Claw-Puller from lets say AutoZone to get it off?

I believe the pump bearing is going bad...at times with cold engine it'll make a screaming loose belt sound then it'll go quiet. As of last summer the v-belt was new and is tight. (I don't like bottom lug V-belts and that's what it is)

BTW going on will be the third PS pump since I bought the truck new.
***, why does stuff go bad in the Winter?
Thanks for any feedback.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Do you know how to read a v-belt pulley for belt slip and pulley wear?
If you don't, an alternator shop should have a guy who knows how to. ;Sweet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I pulled the pump (I could barely turn it by hand) but here's the question...I did replace out the OE pump with this PS Pump back in 1997 (still had the receipt from Pep Boys and they're giving me another rebuilt Pump free). I'm also installing a new pressure and return line.
I didn't get the new PS Pump yet but on the end of mine a 3/8 Allen wrench will fit into the end of the shaft and it looks like where a 'puller' would grab the pressed-on piece well, it looks like I may have used a Pipe Wrench to unscrew it because there are teeth marks on it.
Are you sure that outer round thing isn't screwed on? And why would there be a place for a 3/8 Allen wrench in the center to hold the shaft as if the outer round thing wouldn't unscrew? Also further down in the center of the shaft is threaded...but that would be to press it on ???

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. takes a clamshell type puller. The hex is there to just hold things. I did mine when I painted it all up for assembly.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. takes a clamshell type puller. The hex is there to just hold things. I did mine when I painted it all up for assembly.
Thanks...suppose the first time I pulled it in 1997 I must have thought it unscrewed...and put a Pipe Wrench on it.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son of a B*tch...with bad health, out in the cold all day and a few hours yesterday getting the old PS pump and pressure line off.
Today I install the new rebuilt PS Pump, new pressure line and return line and the SOB FAILS within 5 minutes!
It worked as I was slowly rotating the wheel from left to right (topping off fluid) and BAM no power steering at all...yet the pulley turns.
Called a local Mechanic friend and he said ... that has happened to him before...with rebuilds from Cardone (and everyone) it'***** or miss. He said he has gotten many rebuilt Alternators, PS Boxes and Steering Racks bad out of the box.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Just to ask before you blame the pump. Was there any metal shavings in the oil? Anything like that can take out new parts. I am sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to ask before you blame the pump. Was there any metal shavings in the oil? Anything like that can take out new parts. I am sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Actually the old fluid was quite clean not black and I check for metal flakes...I usually flush it every 30,000 miles. And again, the pump I just took out still gave me smooth power steering but the Pulley was difficult to turn and at cold start-up the belt would scream for the first mile or so (and that was sometimes) so, just figured I'd replace the failing PS pump and I had the Lifetime Guarantee receipt from Pep Boys from 1997!
One thing I did NOT check...I should have blown through the new High Pressure Hose maybe there was something in it?
Tomorrow morning I'll start the truck and crack the PS high pressure line at the reservoir...if fluid comes spraying out of the fitting then the problem may now be in the Steering Box...maybe the bad rebuild dumped debris into the Steering box? I physically can't replace the steering box. If fluid dribbles out then that will confirm the rebuilt Pump is indeed bad.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the second rebuilt PS Pump may be the charm...and today's swap went rather fast.
This Pump actually looked new, the part was better wrapped and protected in the Box and the box read "Pro Start" (A1 Cardone now in Mexico) and was rebuilt this year.

Mondays rebuilt PS Pump was from ASTCO (or something like that) and looked like it was just spray painted black. Also it had a rebuild sticker from 2008.

My local Pep Boys Service Manager (nice fella) said "Ray, I have 12 service bays and I use the same parts and experience bad rebuild parts all the time"
Because of years of complaints again pressure is being put on the rebuilders to do a quality rebuild...my prior rebuilt PS Pump lasted 20 years, the OE pump lasted 10!
Too many shops are complaining about doing the job twice because of poor rebuilt parts.
And for my 1988 Ford ain't making many things anymore...and NOS is gone or disappearing!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We live in a very sad time when you have to get several newly rebuilt parts before you "find a good one"... What a terrible way to do business.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86