POWER STEERING HARD TO TURN

PAPA BEAR

Reaction score
:frustrate99 F350 SD TURBO 7.3L REALLY HARD TO TURN WHEELS WHEN AT A STOP
ONLY MOVES FREE ABOUT 1/8 OF A TURN THEN IS REALLY HARD UNLESS I START MOVING. MY BUDDY HAS THE EXACT SAME TRUCK BUT HID TURNS WITH 1 FINDER SITTING STILL. IS IT THE PUMP OR IS THERE A CHECK VALVE SOMEWHERE? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the brakes applied or not? IF i remember correctly the SuperDutys all have a hydroboost brake setup. On my 03 Ex..... (It has a hydroboost system) if is am sitting still and have the brakes applied I can feel a little more resistance on the wheel. Not that make it hard to turn.... it just takes alittle more effort. Could be a bad line or a pump on the way out. Just to make sure, the fluid is full and the proper type.... hate to ask but sometimes I overlook the obvious when I am trying to track something down......

PAPA BEAR

Reaction score
YEAH WITH THE BRAKE APPIED ITS REAL HARD. IVE CHECK THE LEVEL AND THE HOSES SEEMS OK, BUT JUST SITTING STILL IN PARK CANT TURN LIKE I SHOULD. MY BUDDIES YOU CAN TURN WITH 1 FINGER STANDING STILL. MINE IS HARD TO TURN AND IS JERKY WHEN YOU GET IT TURNED ALL THE WAY. I PULL A 38FT 5TH WHEEL AND ITS HARD TO BACK IT IN WHEN YOU CANT TURN LOL HEADED HOME WILL CHECK WHEN I GET HOME THANS FOR THE INFO

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the pump growling any more than usual? The only time I have had the steering jerk when turning the wheel was in a car with Rack and Pinion steering when the rack was going out. I hope it is not something in the steering gear box.... My Dad has a 94 E150 and it will jurk a bit, especially when it is cold... but the problem is the van has over a quarter million miles on it.

countryboy

Reaction score
Cheap possible fix=lucas oil power steering fix

expensive fix = pump

Is it leaking ? Is the belt ok?

the lucas oil stuff can work sometimes so if you try it and it does you spent 7-8 bucks!
if it doesn't your only out 7-8 bucks!

PAPA BEAR

Reaction score
check it a little better when i got home. its really hard when i apply the brake seems like if i just touch the brake i can feel the wheel drag but if i really apply the brake it almost impossible to turn so is it the pump or maybe the booster taking all the power? im not sure how thebrake booster work i would guess hydrolic instead of vacuum? phil
p.s. new at this if imdoing it wrong let me know lol

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Papa Bear,

You are doing just fine. We are all more than willing to help. It could be a line or the pump. I know some guys have had a return line go bad and it screws up the brakes or can screw up the steering. One thing that will help us out with your questions is fill in your signature (click on User CP and click on the Edit Signature on the left) and fill in what your truck is, that way we know what you have and you dont have to repeat it in your posts, (most people will ask). Look how mine is \/ filled out down there\/.

PAPA BEAR

Reaction score
WELL I THINK I DID IT RIGHT ARE THERE ANY CHECK VALVES IN THE SYSTEM THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT?

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Just an FYI Papa Bear, when someone has their caps lock on, it is generally interpreted as shouting and it makes reading posts difficult.

As far as your power steering predicament, make sure the reservoir is topped of, then crank the truck, and turn the wheel from lock to lock a few times and purge any air that might be in the system. Make sure to keep the reservoir full during this procedure or it won't do any good. If that doesn't clear it up, then you can start looking elsewhere, but always start with the cheapest fixes.

PAPA BEAR

Reaction score
Sorry had company over and didnt realize i was shouting lol
ill give that a try thanks for the help
by the way how do you get the info on the bottom about your vehicle. im a newby lol

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Click "user CP" at the top left of the screen, once that page loads, scroll down, and on the left you will see "edit signature", click that, input your info and save, and it will show up in your posts. you can preview it to make sure everything looks ok, and any time you want to make a change you go to the same place.

st6psycho

Reaction score
all ford trucks do this do the the knuckle sticking out so far.. the tire needs to roll in order to move lol... the only way to solve that is to buy a chevy..... ive replaced my pump the 99s have a hydro boos so if it goes u loose stearing and braking lol the new pump helps turn tres when sitting still but it still isn the greatest

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7