power steering blow out

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
OK.... so here's the story, otw home from picking up a new bever-tail trailer, I here a pop.... not to loud but def herd it... get back to the shop, steering is tight, pump wining real bad like low fluid so I check.... no fluid in the can, look on the ground and wala, its pouring out of the pit man shaft seal... I think cause its where it appears to be comming from.... now the question... should I just replace the seal and try again or replace the box? Now remember I'm cheap and hate spending money.... any ideas?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the high pressure hose where it leaves the pump. Those have a swivel coupler and mine actually blew that fitting apart.

Now if your sure it's leaking out of the steering box then I would probably replace the box. Look for a box out of a 2wd ranger as they used the same box on rangers, F150, F250, and F350 diesels. My box I bought used with 75K on it out of a 2wd 300 6 F150 truck. Figured it probably had a pretty easy life before I got it. Looked new still.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the sector shaft seal shouldn't "see" any real pressure. The seals on the piston and the control valve are what sees the high pressure. Chances are a piston or control valve seal is on its last legs and is leaking (internally) thus blowing out the sector shaft seal. It's your call...the sector shaft seal blowing out might be a one time deal or it might happen right after you replace it.