Possibly considering a 460 to IDI Swap

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Sorry if I got this in the wrong section, it just seemed most appropriate as its mostly about IDI... Anyways, heres the situation: Currently I've got a 1989 Ford F350 with a 460 and E4OD auto (2WD). The body and interior are in near perfect shape, and the engine is weak. Tranny shifts tight, I'm just dropping in a new front seal and torque converter. So that's not a concern as far as power burning the tranny out.

Here's my contemplation: I'm going to go look at a 1986 Ford F350 with a new 7.3L IDI diesel (so I've been told, I'll verify before I buy). It is not turbo AFAIK. What I've been wondering, is since the 1986 is a complete truck,how hard would it be and what would be involved in swapping the 460 out for the IDI since I'll have virtually all the parts except the dash instrumentation and the diesel ECU for the E4OD, which I can grab very easily around here.

It seems to me that the mounts might be the same or easy to swap? One guy said they were the same elsewhere. Any ideas here?

The only other thing would be the bellhousing pattern, it seems that it can be modified to match the diesel bellhousing pattern by some drilling. Is this true? I'm not worried about the tranny not being able to handle the power, as it's built to handle a much more powerful engine already (the 460), and I'm not intent on turning the engine up much if I turbo it.

I could get my fuel tanks out of the 86, and my fuel lines &c.

Anything else I'm missing?

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 460 and id are different bolt patterns, but i have seen 460 trans redrilled for the idi pattern, i dont remember what all was involved in that, search around, or someone that knows more then me will see this im sure. Also, there is no computer for the idi diesels, i assume ford just used a stand alone trans computer in place of the gasser computer to control the transmission. Of the 3 idis i have messed with (to include mine) were all 5speeds, the donor f250 i got my stuff out of had a plug over CPU slot, kinda of like in auto trucks there is a plug over the clutch master hole.

Mounts are the same for the engine, driveshaft lenghts should be un-effected, unless you want to go 4x4. Then you will need your trans gutted and a new output shaft installed, as the 4x4 output shaft is larger then 2x4, you can reuse your gasser tanks, just clean them and you will have to run some diesel rated fuel like in place of the lines you currently have.

And im sure you know this... but you will need a torque converter for the idi, i dont think the 460 converter is swapable.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the 5 speed can be drilled for both.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
^ Good to know typ4. I want to stay auto.

And I found the standalone transmission controller for the IDI E4OD.

For the price of a new torque converter I could grab a good IDI E4OD out of a salvage yard. Are the crossmembers the same?

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Mounts are the same for the engine
Nope.

There is no way I would swap a 460 for an IDI, but to each their own. I went the other way on my '89.

Both swaps are pretty simple if you have a parts truck to pull from.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Iowa 73, you are correct. The mounts are NOT the same, however, I did find out that both the diesel and the gasser mounts are bolt ins, and since I would have a entire truck to take parts off that will not be a problem.

Edit: I found out about the mounts after ALOT more digging, and through parts sites :D.

I go to look at the truck on Saturday hopefully.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
warning....80-86 gas tanks and 87-91 gas tanks are not compatible.
1) the senders are completely different. you physically cannot exchange one for the other. you will have to swap out the entire tank. but.....
2) the ohms resistance in each generation sender is backwards to the other generation sender.
3) the electrical connectors are completely different to avoid mixups.
don't learn this one the hard way.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I have a complete '89 IDI parts truck, and an excellent running 7.3 that I just pulled out of my '91. I don't have an E4OD though. I do have a Ford rebuilt 2wd C6.
Let me know if you need anything. I would work you out a deal for your 460 stuff (mainly the trans: I would like to convert the '89 parts truck to a 460).

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
warning....80-86 gas tanks and 87-91 gas tanks are not compatible.
1) the senders are completely different. you physically cannot exchange one for the other. you will have to swap out the entire tank. but.....
2) the ohms resistance in each generation sender is backwards to the other generation sender.
3) the electrical connectors are completely different to avoid mixups.
don't learn this one the hard way.

Thanks for the advice! I don't like to learn the hard way :D

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Will a E4OD out of a 1990 Ford Van behind a IDI work? As far as linkage goes? I'd need a 1990 controller, correct?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online