Possible 12 valve swap

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 91 f-250 with the zf5 and I've been kicking around the idea of a 12 valve swap but on the tightest budget possible. I can fab motor mounts and cross members and whatnot and I don't see why I couldn't make the trans adapter plate if someone could give me dimensions etc. Not sure if I'll go through with this but if I do, what do you guys think I would spend? Like I said, I can probably fab up most of the stuff and I dont need air conditioning or anything of that nature. It would be a used motor that ran if I did it.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never done one or considered it. But from what I have read they usually turn out to be more then what people bargained for. Even on a budget they spend a few thousand dollars to do the swap. I think the highest expense is the engine itself. They are very happy after the swap though. It would definitely help if you can fab up most of what you need.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check around. Keep an eye out for an engine and if you find one that comes up cheap then that might be what you need to make is more manageable.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Trans adapter plate is a pretty complex piece. Having done the swap and fabbed alot of the brackets, the trans adapter is a piece I'd rather shell the coin out for.