permanently plugging the thermostat housing bypass port/ball thing, what to expect?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No we have no intentions of destroying a perfectly good factory thermostat housing. However we do have intentions of running a thermostat housing from an International S-series truck (for accessories packaging purposes), and it does not have the port with the ball inside it like the F-series do, actually the S-series engine block isn't even drilled for it. So after bolting the S-series housing onto the F-series block and thus permanently plugging the F-series thermostat bypass channel, what would be the most likely negative outcome?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you vacuum fill the system to remove all air, it shouldn't be a problem. Main use of the bypass was to allow air to escape when filling. The s series have a lot higher resevior to help purge it out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can't see any problems other than purging air like posted above. Thats not a issue if a coolant vacuum system is used when refilling the coolant. Once you use that kind of tool you will wonder why you waited so long to buy or use one.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you vacuum fill the system to remove all air, it shouldn't be a problem. Main use of the bypass was to allow air to escape when filling. The s series have a lot higher resevior to help purge it out.

This was my thought exactly. International reservoir tank was really high.

Otherwise how about drilling a small hole in thermostat flange to aid in air purging? I see it talked about a lot in any thread dealing with thermostats. Especially in older cars.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, she will be AirLift-ed for sure during refill, not taking chances there with or without thermostat air bleed passage. Drilling a small hole would also work i suppose, I don't think something like 1/16"-1/8" will mess up coolant flow seriously, especially considering how automatic trucks have coolant bypassing the thermostat via the heater core look thru at least 1/4" ports (fitting down in the radiator's cold tank).