P0216

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post here guy's need a little help. I'm working on a 99 Cummins. About 2 weeks ago the lift pump was replaced, dont know what brand or anything. On a trip it was losing power and cel was on with a code 216. Did a little searching on here and read about how the system works and I'm pretty sure I need to replace the injection pump. I cant find any info on exactly how to do this, I drive a 7.3IDI and know how much of a PITA is is to get the timing right. Are the Dodges just a bolt on and let the computer handle the timing or are there special tools and procedures to follow. I'm sure there is a write up on here somewhere but my search found nothing. Thanks

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when the lift pump goes out you usually dont know it until it has ruined the injection pump unless you have a good fuel pressure gauge installed. These trucks like no less than 10 psi lift pump pressure even at WOT. The P2016 is the death code for an injection pump. Tell your buddy to save himself from this costly fix again to get some gauges most importantly fuel pressure but boost pressure and egts should be monitored as well as trans temp if its an auto

-Jordan-

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when the lift pump goes out you usually dont know it until it has ruined the injection pump unless you have a good fuel pressure gauge installed. These trucks like no less than 10 psi lift pump pressure even at WOT. The P2016 is the death code for an injection pump. Tell your buddy to save himself from this costly fix again to get some gauges most importantly fuel pressure but boost pressure and egts should be monitored as well as trans temp if its an auto

-Jordan-

thanks. I was going to suggest the psi gauge. Now I jut need to know if there is anything special I need to know about replacing the ip

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion its kind of a pain if youve never done it before. I can find you a nice write up when i get to my computer im on my phone at the moment.

-Jordan-

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online