Opinions please

duaneboggs

Reaction score
There is a mid eighties F250 idi regular cab with a flatbed sitting for sale near my house. I haven't called on it yet, haven't looked in it or under the hood yet until I get some opinions about something I noticed on the frame.

About 2 or 3 inches in front of the passenger side rear spring hanger the frame has been cracked and welded. The weld is not new, it looks like a professional did it and it is showing no signs of recracking. However there is no plate on the inside or outside of frame nor has it been double framed. Is it even worth considering buying a truck like this or should I run away as fast as I can? I don't know what the asking price is or anything else about it yet.

Thanks for the input.

Duane

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
wouldn't bother me in the least bit if it was welded correctly, but you can use it as a barganing chip:sly

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
It all depends, if the cab configuration, drivetrain layout and options are what you really want, yes, the repair has withstood the test of time and you know it can be improved upon so I would consider it. If you're looking for and extended cab 4x4, the convience of this one may not be worth it to you.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
In a little truck like this, a welded frame wouldn't bother me. I've seen single frame big trucks (cement mixers and dump trucks) with bubble gum welds stuck to the outside of the frame....and the crack expanding beyond the reparied area. If it was done right, then I wouldn't think twice about it.

I have been told that the proper way to repair a crack (in any metal) is drill a hole at each end of the drack, notch it with a grinder, weld up the crack and grind it flat. Then plate both sides (if accessable) and cover it with primer/paint.

I guess the drilling the hole at each end id supposed to stop the metal from cracking further after it is stitched up.....?

cornbinder 84

Goat Rancher
Reaction score
That is how we repair cracks in steel bridge girders. Drill a hole at each end of the crack, vee out with grinder, weld up and plate. If weld looks old and has not cracked back yet I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about what caused the crack in the first place. Could be the truck has been abused if the frame is cracked. Just my 2 cents.

duaneboggs

Reaction score
I can't see where the crack started or anything, it appears that it is welded on both sides of the rail and on the bottom and top, almost like it broke completely into. Other than that the rest of the exterior looks in good shape, no rust that I could see and the interior of the cab looks good through the window. I'm not wanting it for myself, I was actually looking at it for my son. I guess I'll call the person tomorrow and see what the rest of it looks like and how much they want for it.

Thanks for the answers

Duane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online