Open y-pipe or muffler delete?

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to open up my exhaust a bit without spending much, my truck has a parts store stock replacment exhaust on it now and i need to get some better flow, rite now i have the feul cranked 1.5 flatts and the egts are hitting 1100 pulling hills going by my gauge that is.. Anyway i realy don't want to dump 3-4 hundred bucks on having a custom exhaust done since i'm going to be putting my turbo on in the future.. Was thinking of just running an open y-pipe or maybe getting a peice of 2.5" pipe and making a muffler delete. Wont get much better flow since it will still have the y-pipe and all but that huge muffler is definatly the biggest power robber in the system.. Also should i run the factory intake tube or not, rite now it's off but my buddy seems to think i should put it back on... Gonna play with it today, just looking for idea's..

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes put your intake tube on and make sure its properly,routed to the front...that cool air will make the world of a difference...as for the exhaust just doing a muffler delete will be plenty you wont see any major improvements with y pipe without having the flow of the turbo

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
do NOT do an open exhaust. it will coat the whole underside of your rust free truck with an acidic soot that will slowly rot the frame to pieces

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Y-pipe from rockauto is about $80. 3" and flows better

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
open y pipe does give you quicker throttle response and a little more power but loud as all get out. and it will soot stuff up pretty good but nothing a car wash or pressure washer wouldn't take off i reckon

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id also like to see a link for this 3" y pipe. my truck came with no exhaust, just 3 foot of 2 1/2" pipe right off the y pipe. after that nothing. so i bought a 10ft chunk of 4" exhaust pipe for 30 bucks and a prebent 4" tailpipe and am finishing putting it together. currently im up 4 flats and can barely hit 1150 going up a hill foot to the floor. my pump may be a lil tired too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance