Open the flood gates....of coolant that is.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

After getting her running great over the weekend I parked at work Monday morning and saw coolant ******* out the radiator. Not exactly sure where from yet, I know up upper hose, uppers tank, and possibly more. I'll be pressure testing it at lunch today to pinpoint it. If a replacement is needed (vs fixing it), where would you go? LMC seems to be able to get a OE replacement, or summit for a Aluminum gee-wiz one. Also waiting to hear about about one in the classifieds.

Thanks all,

Ken

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rodnet Red is the top of the line for quality built aluminum radiators but you will pay lots for it. Several including me have purchased this radiator and not one thing has been posted negative about them or the quality. A close match is the Champion tht is sold on ebay and the store is located in Lake Elsinore Ca.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the IDI Rodney Red radiators, or do you have to call them? I looked over the site and couldn't find it. Would like to save the link for kind of occasion and my own future reference.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the IDI Rodney Red radiators, or do you have to call them? I looked over the site and couldn't find it. Would like to save the link for kind of occasion and my own future reference.

i tried looking also.
their site is less than desireable.
but they seem to spend more quality time on their product.
which is a good thing.
all i found were muscle car radiators on their site.
gotta call them.

another company that has stellar service and product is AFCO.
most likely a little more expensive if not the same price.
ive installed dozens of their radiators in gassers and everyone of them were top notch.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran champion in my other truck before with no issue, price of good too. But stock looks like an issue with them. It's a DD so I can't down it for too long.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the champion 3 row and it's been working out great. A buddy of mine has a champion in his bricknose with a 460 and it appears the core started to separate from the tanks. So I'd agree they are a hit or miss.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres no good option.iv come to the conclusion that the best option is to simply run what you have so long as the trucks not overheating and you don't need to top it up more than once a month.sad but true.

if we had any of these trucks still around these parts,id find myself a used oem and run that.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure test after work today shows it's beyond reasonable repair, and the heater core is shot. As much as I don't want to, it looks like a specter is my best bet for a bubblegum fix. If it lasts another 10k I'll be more than happy with it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
changing a radiator every 10k miles shouldn't be enough to make us happy KC but what ya gunna do? :D
good luck!

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't agree more, but after a full redo of the fuel, I just need it to drive again. I leave for basics in a few months and will fix it right (twice) when Uncle Sam is helping fund me.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I put in a spectra radiator, the Al and plastic one. It held pressure and fit ok. We will see how long it lasts. I'm going to try to put the heater core in tonight, right now it's just a bypass loop.