On my way home O/H

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I never run above 185 190 with my alum rad and it's never changed. Well tonight it was 200-205 and pullin a hill it hit 222 then dropped with the pyro at the peak of the hill. What's going on coolant has no oil in it. And no power loss has came into play. Thermostat? Water pump?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mmm idk honestly I run the **** outta my truck in San diego traffic.an on hills to the floor as I'm testing pyro temps and my truck never moves from 190 while unloaded loaded 10k it hits 215 max. today it's road at 203 an flexed up to the 220 it's never ran that hot. it was working as to the pyro almost kinda idle would drop to 203 and back up to average of 213. I would be concerned if it has changed before and in no way was she worked hard and it raised. Could the stat be sticking? Or somthing? What's considered over heating?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I agree those temps are just fine, BUT if you were running cooler before, then maybe it is the water pump. More than likely not the fan clutch.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan clutch and water pump have 40k and fan clutch is functioning properly. Towing season is coming up. Is there a way to test the water pump?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a lil more about it and I think the thermostat might have stuck and then unstuck and your temps went down after it opened. Either that or the water pump...

sassyrel

Reaction score
Devon. change the thermostat. they can be fine one second,,and dump the next. in 40 years of mech work,,ive seen it happen, more than once..if you arent sure, pull it,,and put it in a pan of water on the stove,,and watch it open and close,,with a thermo in the water..

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, t-stat is my bet. Water pumps don't usually fail unless corrosion gets them and that very gradual. I've used the RobertShaw type Hi-flow t-stats for years in mine. They flow a bit more water than the standard type. Also, the stock water pump is rated at 75 GPM @ 3300 rpm. Some aftermarket replacements don't match that but I found a water pump years ago rated at 100 GPM @ 3300. I got it from a truck repair shop who said it was used on medium duty trucks. I saw the catalog that rated it at 100GPM, so I want for it. Brand? Part number? Don't know. The reciept is lost in all the receipts I have for this truck. Will look again. Got it in '99 or 2000 IIRC.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Sounds like what I experienced... then I found this >
You must be registered for see images attach

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sassyrel I will do that. PwrSmoke where do I find that one and around what cost cant be much. I was just gonna buy a IH stat. SparklandFire I will look at the old one because I had it changed next door at work because lack of time last desert season and needed the truck back the same day. I bought them the parts so if its not the part we have listed on my reciept then we may have a small talk to them. I hope they would not have done that I hear some wierd storys sometimes and it makes me wonder.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Sounds like what I experienced... then I found this >
You must be registered for see images attach

highly abnormal,,that high flow robertshaw,,ive NEVER seen break like that!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!! even tho china,,breaking two of the legs,,is strange...

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe in coincidences. Similar hill, load and ambient temps but coolant temp higher? Simple heat transfer problem: rad or fan. Both are wear items that loose performance with time.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive it for all it's worth today hit 200 once on the same grade comin home rest was 190. I believe it's the thermo. What are all you guys runnin it has an IH in it now.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Thats not really hot at all, i mean its warm but not hot,

Sure your temp gauge isnt going bad?

my old 7.3 always had a problem running hot it would get up to 240 easy pulling any long grades, but my rad was pretty stopped up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online