Older 6.2 better than new?

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
I've noticed that the majority of older 6.2Ls left date from the '82 model year, is there something special about these first year engines?

The older (82-84) engines also seem to get better fuel economy without a hit in power compared to the newer units. Different head/precombustion chamber design maybe?

It's been said the red blocks have a higher nickel content, can anyone shed some light on the differences?

Thank you much,

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"rumor" has it that the early 6.2 blocks have high nickel blocks and solid webbing on mains 2,3,&4. Honestly, I have never done a 6.2 in my cylinder boring and honing machine, so I can't verify on the nickel content. supposedly, the cat's ass setup these days is the improved 6.5 block, but I will have to wait a few years after the BS in the sandbox is over with so the stuff shows up at the GSA auctions again.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
Thanks Towcat,

I've been considering turbocharging mine (for the past 10 years...) but still in the process of determining what the best parts to use are, IE block, crank, heads etc. The #599 block (92-93ish?) is rumored to be the best candidate but I'd have to get a new crank to match the 1 piece seal. The new AMG 6500 units improve on the GM design big time but big $$$.

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel power magazine did a full build up on a 6.2 and added a banks turbo. It was a good artical, might be worth picking it up to get some ideas. See ya

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really? know what date/month/year the mag is? my 82 6.2 is running strong with 240k on the clock...just dont wanna start when its cold..lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online