OK somebody tell me whats wrong with it?!?!?!?!?!?

2manydsls

Reaction score
A fellow worker bought a new GTO years ago. It would suddenly lose power without warning. (nice when passing) He had it in the shop many times and they couldn't find the problem. It would only happen every 1,000 miles or so.
Finally at around 36,000 mi. one garage found a shop rag in the gas tank. A free factory option.
Ross

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it ran perfect when i bought it.i got the first emissions test done on it about 3 months after buying it.since then its run like this.same engine it had when i got it

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im hopeing somebody might know something that i dont.with fuel at near 4 bux a gallon this thing has got to get fixed so i can get some decent fuel mileage again

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Just a theory but if you had a restriction on the return side it would drive your fuel pressure up and cause over fueling...Black smoke is one of two things - too much fuel or not enough oxygen. Is the turbo wastegate working? When it has the miss have you tried cracking the fuel lines at each injector one at a time to see which cylinder has the miss?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i put 165PSI of air through the return and feed lines.there is no restrictions in the lines.ive cracked the lines to try to find the skip.that didnt work so i replaced the injectors.wastegate works max boost is 6PSI

all the leaks,IP and injectors are gonna be replaced within the next few weeks.i just cant afford to spend the money on it right now but at the same time i cant afford not too spend the money.im just picking at its problems right now as the money comes for it.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Rich--get a real oil pressure gauge on it, and see if the oil pressure changes when it does this crazy stuff-----thinking-------------

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich--get a real oil pressure gauge on it, and see if the oil pressure changes when it does this crazy stuff-----thinking-------------

im going too asoon as i have the money for one and find one that matches the rest of my gauges now that i dont need the tranny temp gauge any more.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
You said you already replaced the IP and the injectors? Unless you installed a used IP or some how damaged it, I would guess the IP and injectors are not the problem. The leaking return lines can cause all sorts of problems. It's cheap to fix...around the price of ten gallons of diesel:D
The o-ring for the filter head is a relatively easy fix as well. Like Mel says fix the stuff you know is broken! Then start testing if the problem hasn't gone away. I'd look at all the rubber lines from the tanks to the IP. ULSD is ******* old rubber, and collapsing fuel lines can cause intermittent symptoms. Fuel line is cheap, as well. I'd also think about the pick up tubes in your tanks. Do the symptoms happen only on one tank, or at a level in the tanks (1/4 full?). Many people have had issues with the pick up tubes...Good luck

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after i fix the leaks and stuff it will still run like this.my fuel lines are all plastic and steel except from the frame to the lift pump.it runs like this no matter what tank im on or how much fuel i have.i know the leaks arent helping anything,im a mechanic.they will be fixed in a couple weeks,gonna replace the IP,injectors and return lines.i have a good no-leak filter head for it as well.but none of the repairs im gonna do will fix it.its been doing this for almost 6 years.im thinking it has a couple bent valves from when they held it WOT for the first emissions test.i think they floated the valves and a couple got whacked by the pistons.i have a MAC compression tester for it but i dont have the right adapter for the IDIs.anybody have instructions to make one or a spare they can lend me?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
you can make an adapter out of an old glow plug...drill it out and weld a fitting on there that will accept the hose for the tester

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also get a cheap one from Harbor Freight for around $10. I lost mine too working on a friend's engine...sucks. I'm with you the monkeys doing the emissions testing probably broke something, now you have to figure out what. I just wish you could hold the state responsible in some way...thankfully we don't have emissions testing for anything, gas or diesel in FL.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from when they held it WOT for the first emissions test.

After reading this, would not it be in one's best interest to limit throttle travel, thereby limiting maximum RPMs, before going in for the communist test ??

They can only push it down as far as the throttle-stop will allow.

Back in the 70s, when we had vehicle safety inspection stickers, it was the crookedest money racket going.

Filling-stations and garages clamored for authorization to be so-called "safety" inspection points.

It was so crooked and mis-managed, that even our crooked government saw the error of it and abolished it years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online