Ok no 3g but I do have the 95 amp alternator

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no more 3gs but I do have a 95 amper laying on the shop floor. I have it laying around why can't I use it?:dunno. I am planning on wiring it up just the same as the 3g unless someone tells me it won't work. I have done the 3g swap on another truck,love it. Now I have a burning smell and a bearing noise coming from the old alternator on the truck that has to get me to work on Monday. I plan on swapping up later

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should work fine. If your truck is stock, it's all you need. Truth be known, if your engine is in tip top shape, and your stock alternator is working, you only need one battery to start these things 90% of the time. I just did for a couple of weeks till I got the money to buy two new batteries.

Now if you are going to add electric fans and other electrical loads, I would try to get the larger alternator.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its from the same series as the 3g and its the 95amp with the 4 holes in the bracing. I don't plan on any electrical add ons.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
does it look like the one on the left in this picture?

You must be registered for see images attach

if it does than it is just a small case (95A) 3G. same as the large case as far as wiring provided it is the 8.25" ear mount spacing.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, it does except for I have the 2 bolt style instead of the serpentine set up shown