Oil Pressure

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of oil pressure are you guys getting from your 7.3. I ran a mechanical gauge to mine this weekend and I have 40 lbs is this high, low or about average for these engines. I would love to see 60 or better but if 40 is good then I am gonna just run it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Using the old adage of 10 PSI for every 1000 RPM, you've got more than enough oil pressure. I wouldn't worry about 40 PSI at all. Remember, that saying was created for engines that don't have piston cooling jets. Those will drop oil pressure by quite a bit, depending on where you take your readings from. You're also ahead of the game compared to the vast majority of people out there. You actually know what your oil pressure is. Most just look at the factory gauges and think"Ok it points at the 'M' in normal so I've got good oil pressure".

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've never owned a truck with "Armstrong" power steering and the numbers to letters conversion would be fine if the letters actually meant anything. Of course I did have a couple of cars that had that type of power steering.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my fresh Promar engine I see 40+ at cold idle and 9-12 hot sitting at a stoplight. Cruising at 65mph around 2300RPM and 190* I have 30-40 psi.

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a truck with "Armstrong" power steering and the numbers to letters conversion would be fine if the letters actually meant anything. Of course I did have a couple of cars that had that type of power steering.

I had a truck with WD 40 air conditioning. Windows Down and 40 mph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online