Oil Pressure Question

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a strange oil pressure question. My oil pressure usually runs around 40 psi but yesterday it began to drop down to 10 or15 lbs. I was near the house so I stopped for fuel and when I got back in the truck its back to 40 psi. Today its back down to 10 or 15. Is there a relief valve that could be sticking open or something and how can I check it out.

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must have been something in the bypass valve I went out and started to pull it into the shop and lo and behold it has 40 lbs at a hot idle. I drove it around for a while and it has a solid 40 lbs at idle or cruising down the road

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So the oil pressure never changes? It sounds like it's your gauge or sender (if it's an electric gauge) to me. I don't think that there's any way that you could have 40 PSI at a hot idle.

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a mechanical gauge and it may fluctuate 5 lbs or so. I even checked it against a Rochester gauge I had left over from restoring my J-3 Cub and they both read the same. I`m thinking the relief valve hung partially open and was dumping oil back and when it cooled down it reset

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should not read higher than 20 at idle. You may have a blockage or problem restrictor valve. What does it read driving, say 35-45 mph.

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It reads 40 psi going down the road maybe 35 at a hot idle. I has been this way since I got the truck a few years ago. The dash gauge reads right in the middle of the sweep its on the R in normal

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dash gauge is just a switch; useless. It only reads ">7 psi" or off.

Otherwise, what I usually expect to see is ~12-18 psi at hot idle, ~25-40 at 2000 RPM, and a max of perhaps 55 when cold at high RPM.
In your case, if it's measuring higher than that... wow, that's good I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance