Oil pressure help

Patriot304

Reaction score
Oil pressure gauge on my 88 f250 is acting strange. It was stuck up pretty high for a while but my buddy said it prolly just wasn't working but today when I stopped at red lights etc it would drop to low and engine light would come on but go off as soon as I gave it some fuel. Motor sounds the same all the time. What do y'all think my problem is? Thanks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your oil level, if that’s good, unplug the oil pressure sender and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. The engine light comes on when you have less than 5 psi oil pressure

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Check your oil level, if that’s good, unplug the oil pressure sender and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. The engine light comes on when you have less than 5 psi oil pressure
X2 on the mechanical gauge. Some people like the aftermarket electric gauges and those work just fine. I prefer the mechanical ones myself. Also, if your sender isn't working right, and it appears to not be working right, it could be doing this. It could be "reading" 5 PSI and turn on the light, when you really have 15 PSI. IIRC, the minimum spec for oil pressure is 10 PSI at a hot idle. Unless your engine has some extremely serious wear, your oil pressure will be fine despite what the factory gauge says, assuming that your oil level is good like Wes said.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An now for everyone's entertainment the amazing dancing oil pressure gauge!!!!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

But on the serious side go mechanical.. the stock gauges suck.. they are just glorified idiot lights

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It could also be an electrical issue. Bad ground or sender. I’ve had a few vehicles have the gauges act wierd from electrical gremlins......

An aftermarket gauge would prove if you actually have oil pressure issues. But, if the engine sounds happy, it more than likely is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online