Oil leak and pressure.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Ok started my truck up this morning. about 30* out. Let it run for a few mine and noticed a puddle of oil under the front diff. I see it dripping off the front pig, seems to be coming from the back side of the axle. So tonight i go and put it over the pit and check it out. I put a wrench on the oil filter and got a 1/4 turn out of it but it seemed tight. There is oil all over the place. Some on the filter, could see where it was dripping down the filter, put i dont know if that was where it was coming from. Is there any way it could be the oil cooler? It seemed to quit after the truck warmed up. And after i got home and i started it again to go to the shop i let it idle and i saw no puddle, engine was warm casue the wife was driving it to town and back before i got home. Now after i tightend up the filter the oil pressure seemed to be a little higher on the gauge. My thinking is, if the oil pressure is read down by the filter this is a good indication of it leaking around the filter. And yes i just did a oil change about a week ago and it did not leak this much before this i dont think, or i never noticed i guess.

Thanks

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
On these filters you have to crank them down even after the gasket contacts the base because of the pressures they see when cold. Enterprise used to do that if I didn't get the filter cranked down good and tight. Only problem was I had to use filter strap to get it off.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Might be. There is some oil coming down the side of the motor. But this was coming down on to the front pig. I think i got it taken care of. I will know in the morning.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
NO major leak this morning. Now just getting the normal 3 or 4 drips after it sits for a while. Running or not. Now onto the oil i was running. Valvoline Premium blue is not a idi friendly oil. Switched to Carquest fleet oil and it is now much quieter and has better oil pressure. Go figure.

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Well it was leaking alittle bit this morning. I guess i will have to tear it apart and check it out this winter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online