OBS Low brakes

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 95 f350 4x4 and I have a brake issue I can't nail down. I have brakes a plenty for the first or second push, but then on subsequent brake pedal pushes the pedal gets hard and I have little brakes. I replaced the vacuum pump as well as the booster. I'm stumped. Any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the brake pedal feels the same as with the engine off then I would agree to that you are losing to much vacuum for the booster to operate correctly. Might need to put a vacuum gauge on to see what you do have when pushing the pedal down. It will drop , but should come right back up, vacuum reading.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to check the splitter on the firewall, several people have reported them cracking and causing vacuum leaks.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I think I know which one your referring to. Just onboard of the HVAC box.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I narrowed it down to the cab vacuum. Anyone have any ideas on places to start there? I can't find any bad pieces

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dumb plastic line going to the A/C box like to brake / crack with age. If you have a vacuum pump can find the leak too.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I traced it to the HVAC unit. I pulled the bundle of vac hoses to the outside and reconnected them and now it holds vacuum! Great so now I don't know what happened. BUT... I reassembled it and it's working now so hopefully it was tweaked enough to let a hose leak. We'll see.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I traced it to the HVAC unit. I pulled the bundle of vac hoses to the outside and reconnected them and now it holds vacuum! Great so now I don't know what happened. BUT... I reassembled it and it's working now so hopefully it was tweaked enough to let a hose leak. We'll see.

If your HVAC is stuck on defrost that's a sure sign of a HVAC related vacuum leak

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My HVAC always works. So that's weird too. But I was holding vacuum when I unplugged and sealed the connector right before the last section of hose to the HVAC. But now it's works. Hopefully for a long time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online