NV 4500 going in!!

MMeier

Reaction score
Well, the getrag started making some nasty sounding noises yestetrday on the way in from Utah. Got on the horn this morning with Blumenthals out of OKC and ordered up the trans and conversion kit. Hopefully by the middle of next week the '93 will be ripping it up again !!;Sweet

mocetane

Reaction score
Well, the getrag started making some nasty sounding noises yestetrday on the way in from Utah. Got on the horn this morning with Blumenthals out of OKC and ordered up the trans and conversion kit. Hopefully by the middle of next week the '93 will be ripping it up again !!;Sweet

I am buying a 1991 W350, 5.9, G360 5speed, from my cousin. VG price I think. $2750 with the 8K winch on it. It has 300,000 miles on it. The cummins is strong (stock)except for a Banks exhaust.
He is putting new seals and bearings in the D70 rear (SRW). He has taken good care of it. He is the original owner.

If you don't mind my asking, how much was the conversion for the 4500 including the 4500???
I am looking at that upgrade or rebuilding the G360. Might even go ahead and go thru the 205 while it is out too.
I am not sure if I can rebuild the 360 myself or not. I have been told it is a simple straight forward trans. "All you need is basic tools. Snap ring pliers and a press for the gears" ......................
Has anyone out there done a rebuild on the 360 ??

MMeier

Reaction score
I am buying a 1991 W350, 5.9, G360 5speed, from my cousin. VG price I think. $2750 with the 8K winch on it. It has 300,000 miles on it. The cummins is strong (stock)except for a Banks exhaust.
He is putting new seals and bearings in the D70 rear (SRW). He has taken good care of it. He is the original owner.

If you don't mind my asking, how much was the conversion for the 4500 including the 4500???
I am looking at that upgrade or rebuilding the G360. Might even go ahead and go thru the 205 while it is out too.
I am not sure if I can rebuild the 360 myself or not. I have been told it is a simple straight forward trans. "All you need is basic tools. Snap ring pliers and a press for the gears" ......................
Total out of pocket, including 8.5 hours labor at the shop that handled this for me came in just a bit over $3k. Very good price in my book, this 4500 is miles ahead of that Getrag that was in there, part of the labor was for clutch R & R and flywheel resurface, I had them throw my SouthBend Con O I had on the shelf in while it was apart. So far a bit over 700 miles and very pleased with the out come, might try a 5600 from them for my '03.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score

I haven't done one on the 360 but I just got done doing it to my NV4500 and what a cake walk - manual trannies are nothing to be scare of. If you have a mechanical mind about you and do have snap ring plies and a hammer with drift punches then you are good to go - might be real helpful to that the bearing cups to make the bearings go on easier and not have to worry about them being cocked to one side but still if you just watch what you are doing then you will be fine. I'll admit I was scared to start the project but after getting in there - heck I'll do it again and not bat an eye... Now an automatic tranny - I just write a check for that - no way you will ever get me in one of those.

mocetane

Reaction score
Total out of pocket, including 8.5 hours labor at the shop that handled this for me came in just a bit over $3k. Very good price in my book, this 4500 is miles ahead of that Getrag that was in there, part of the labor was for clutch R & R and flywheel resurface, I had them throw my SouthBend Con O I had on the shelf in while it was apart. So far a bit over 700 miles and very pleased with the out come, might try a 5600 from them for my '03.

Thanks for the replys.
This is where I am now trying to second guess myself.:confused:
If I buy the truck for $2750 as it is, I know I will be facing rebuilds on almost all driveline components (except the 5.9) w/in the next few months/years.
Will it be worth it. ???? I am just going to use it for light duty stuff for the most part....
The parts and labor to go thru the D70 can easily be 2-3k.
If I R&R and rebuild the G360 myself and replace the clutch, even that will be an easy grand with me doing all the grunt work....outside in the elements.
I don't know how much it will cost to go thru the D60 front end, etc (205).
If I leave it all as is and just use it as a weekend warrior and to tow our 16 foot bass boat 15 miles to the lake....it might survive that for several years before failure of parts.....but then who knows.
How many G360s are out there with 300K or more on them (untouched). The actual miles are not known due to the speedo/odometer failures.
I am starting to get the feeling that the truck is for sale because my cousin has priced everything out to rebuild it from one end to the other and it is just too much $$$$.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack this thread. I am new to the Dodge 5.9:love: ,
I have had two 7.3's a few years ago.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work on quite a few of the early D & W series pickups. Everything is a bear to find and expensive compared to the fords. I bought a rollover W series over the summer and just about any nut and bolt that's salvageable on the truck is getting sold to my customers.cookoo
With Chrysler going through their BK and subsequent corporate takeovers, the parts supply for the older stuff is rapidly drying up. That's why the motor out of the PU is going into a ford chassis.

mocetane

Reaction score
I work on quite a few of the early D & W series pickups. Everything is a bear to find and expensive compared to the fords. I bought a rollover W series over the summer and just about any nut and bolt that's salvageable on the truck is getting sold to my customers.cookoo
With Chrysler going through their BK and subsequent corporate takeovers, the parts supply for the older stuff is rapidly drying up. That's why the motor out of the PU is going into a ford chassis.

That is just great news. :frustrate

Now all the old Dodge stuff is going to turn to GOLD x2.

Maybe I should buy it and just drive it 'till it has a major failure and then part it out for $$$$$$$$.

mocetane

Reaction score

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how is the 4500 so much better in reality over the G360 ??

Also, Tell me more about the SouthBend Con O. I assume it is a superior clutch assembly to the OEM. Price ??

Thanks, You are all giving me too much to think about and consider re: this W350. Maybe I should just wait for a deal on a '97ish 3500 5.9 4x4 SRW. ???
Or are they becoming extinct too?