NP205 Question

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Will a married NP205 bolt up to a 1988 ZF-5? I think they were found on the 4 Spd transmissions and the C6 up to '79-80

Currently, the truck has a BW1365 married to the ZF-5. I like the idea of gear drive better than chain drive and would be willing to pay the extra weight penalty for the extra bullet-proofness. :sly

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, but you will run into other issues. front output is a lot closer to the trans, trans will need to be notched for shifter rail, you will need to make the torque mount that goes on the driversdie of the case....plus that's a lot of weight hanging off an aluminum adapter....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driveshafts will probably need to be made longer or shorter also. Shifter mods like was mentioned. I don't think your original transfer case is the weak point in your driveline.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, but you will run into other issues. front output is a lot closer to the trans, trans will need to be notched for shifter rail, you will need to make the torque mount that goes on the driversdie of the case....plus that's a lot of weight hanging off an aluminum adapter....
i had that problem on a dodge. Super tough transfercase but every time the going got tough it would spin off the tail housing.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys!

Sounds like it's been done before. :) Anybody break off an aluminum adapter?

So what is the weak link? Stock front hubs?

I'm not planning on rock crawling, just want a really reliable transfer case. It seems with high mileage the BW1365 is just a time bomb waiting to go off. Are there mods that can be done to the 1365 to make it more reliable?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm not planning on rock crawling, just want a really reliable transfer case. It seems with high mileage the BW1365 is just a time bomb waiting to go off. Are there mods that can be done to the 1365 to make it more reliable?
Just keep an eye out for leaks. If you keep oil in them they seem to last, they have a pressurized oil system with a oil pump inside them.

I do not know what they used on the case halves, it looks like black rtv. I have seen several that start to leak. And I have also repaired one that someone tightened the drain plug too tight and cracked the case.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the right adapter, a 203/205 is within 1/2 inch in overall length of a 1356

However that would be one hell of a heavy part hanging off the back of a ZF with no support. I'd say a whole nother mount would need to be fabbed up.

1356 if in good condition are a good tcase that's lightweight and plenty strong for what most of us do...most of us!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the right adapter, a 203/205 is within 1/2 inch in overall length of a 1356

However that would be one hell of a heavy part hanging off the back of a ZF with no support. I'd say a whole nother mount would need to be fabbed up.

1356 if in good condition are a good tcase that's lightweight and plenty strong for what most of us do...most of us!

We had a guy in another forum that had a 4x4 with a 460 in it. He was revving the engine up and popping the clutch out, in 4x4 and on dry pavement trying to light up all 4 tires. He did it a couple of times till he broke the t19. Yes, he actually ruined the tranny. And then he wrote in to ask what went wrong and what kind of tranny he could use that would hold up better.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
He was revving the engine up and popping the clutch out, in 4x4 and on dry pavement trying to light up all 4 tires. He did it a couple of times till he broke the t19.

That there is not use, that is abuse.

Maybe I worry too much. I should just have a rebuilt spare ready to go. :dunno

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had a couple of Internationals ( a pickup and a Travelall for parts). They both had a np205 in them. They were remotely mounted with a short driveshaft for the input. They were supported by a crossmember that bolted to the top of the transfer case. Maybe you could use something like that to help support the extra weight if you are dead set on using the np205.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score

kinda off-topic but a 203/205 doubler would rock behind a 4.10 geared ZF5 IDI.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the T19 broke. Those things are tough...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked at the 205 behind my zf I thought about making a brace to go to the 6 bolt PTO plates on both sides to distribute the weight but I never had a problem with the 1345's or the 1356's so I never bothered. I just wanted one so I could have 3 sticks in the cab ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

One of our members here broke the aluminum adapter on his T19, don't recall the details on how it happened tho. Besides, you have a ZF5, ain't the adapter of that kinda-sorta part of your transmission case? If so it could very well be stronger than the simple bolt-on kind T19s run. Downside would obviously be that if you break yours, well, you know.

Weak link, till you start running creeper ratios and large tires there is probably nothing to really worry about in that D50, just make sure your U-joins are in good shape.

The only real problem with the 1356s IMHO is the oil pump setup, it's just a cheesy design from the factory. Supposedly there are mods that can be made to address this issue, I've seen them mentioned all over the place but I've never seen them explained as to *** said mods actually are.

When I looked at the 205 behind my zf I thought about making a brace to go to the 6 bolt PTO plates on both sides to distribute the weight but I never had a problem with the 1345's or the 1356's so I never bothered. I just wanted one so I could have 3 sticks in the cab ;)
The problem with the 205 is its weight, thing is almost as heavy as the transmission itself! Except the transmission is supported on both ends, while the 205 is just hanging way out there. Personally I wouldn't worry about bracing a married 205 on the PTO side, it's the front driveshaft side that rally torques the transmission flange good - that's where the additional factory mount goes, and IMHO it is not one of those factory setups that should be omitted. On a different note, which twin-stick setup did you use, ORD?