Nothing happens when I turn the key???

rterril02

Reaction score
The truck is a 1986 ford f250 6.9 4 speed 2wd. When I turn the key nothing, no power or anything else. No power to cab, no head or emergency lights. Pulled the ignition cylinder, it's fine. The rod that the cylinder moves is intact. I put in a new starter solinoid(underhood), glow plug solinoid, pass. side ground and positive cable. The starter solinoid was from my 7.3. When I arc the solinoid the engine turns over.

gandalf

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with my '86 truck. Turn the key=nothing. Jump the solinoid=engine turns over. Turn the key to 'run' and jump the solinoid=engine starts. I ended up running a wire, 2 wires to the solinoid, and put a push button in the cab. Worked well, started every time.

rterril02

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
starter solinoI'd on the passenger fender

glow plug solinoid

rterril02

Reaction score
better look at the glow plug solinoid

rterril02

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with my '86 truck. Turn the key=nothing. Jump the solinoid=engine turns over. Turn the key to 'run' and jump the solinoid=engine starts. I ended up running a wire, 2 wires to the solinoid, and put a push button in the cab. Worked well, started every time.
Did you get power back in te cab after the modification?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see some things that make me question what you have done here.

First, I don't see the white from the fender mounted solenoid down to the starter mounted solenoid.

Second, where that wire is supposed to be, you have a large wire running off to this other solenoid mounted down below it.

You should have a heavy gauge 8 gauge wire from the positive power lug over to the fender mounted solenoid. From there, on that same terminal of the solenoid, other wires go off to keep constant power to the trucks main fuse box, and to the glow plug solenoid.

The glow plug solenoid you have rigged in here doesn't appear to have power all the time, and I don't see the fusible links that should be on the solenoid lug that goes off to the main fuse box of the truck.

It would appear you have quite a mess on your hands that is going to take some work to figure out.

rterril02

Reaction score
Yeah it is a mess. I bought it from my uncle this way. When I replaced the solinoids I made sure to keep the wires the same. If you have a picture or even better a diagram it would be appreciated greatly.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they are all wrong, so we need to get you figured out. I don't have any pictures right now, but I might be able to grab some in the morning. Also, mine is a 92, so some things might look a little different.

Is there a glow plug controller mounted at the rear of the passenger side head, or behind the intake?

rterril02

Reaction score
The black wire on the left(front) side of the starter solinoid is the wire that runs down to the starter mounted solinoid. It meets the startwr solinoid on the small post. The larger wire on the right ( back) side runs down to the glow plug solinoid, where it meets the wire coming off of the positive cables.

rterril02

Reaction score
No mine is a 86 6.9, back then the glow plug controller was split up. The solinoid is mounted on the passenger fender apron and the other half is back by the firewall. I run the blade tip glow plugs. I think there is something different about the way they run v.s. the bullet connectors on the 7.3.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think I see the problem and what has been done here.

It looks like you need to swap the wire that goes to the starter only,(not the other wires on the front terminal) with the larger main power wire. All the other wires on the fron terminal are the wiring that powers the rest of the truck. And should be Hooked to battery+ all the time.

That starter trigger wire should be on a terminal by itself.

You might try it this way, but make sure the truck is in park or neutral, just in case there is something I can't see and it tries to start with you under the hood.

Is there a manual punch button for the glow plugs?is that what that solenoid is for?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do the three wires that come off the back terminal of you glow plug solenoid go? They should only go to the glow plugs if that solenoid is controlled by a manual button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online