Not to beat a dead horse..

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my water pump just crapped out. I searched the forum and the newest post I found was 2018. Just wanted to see y'all's more recent experience with new pumps..

Napa is $68 and change.. O'Reilly is $38 and change, but "Murray temperature control"?????? Haven't looked for a motorcraft yet but not looking forward to the price..

Need to do this on the "cheaper" side to keep the wife from flipping her lid she already thinks I need to get rid of it....

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I always buy the cheap ones. It a simple part.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Said a guy with a "hushed voice" dodge in his avatar;Really
Till yer beached on the side of the road towing a load...;Poke
but budget and light usage dictates a lot of things.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't mind me ima being a good natured troll recouping from a wheelin trip to slickrock in ca.
Op
Lifetime warranty works if you can do the labor and don't mind the downtime

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Maybe Fords are more sensitive to the dollars spent? :joker:

Y'all do what you want. These days, many identical parts come out of different boxes at different prices.

The last water pump I put on my truck was a $30 Gates from rockauto. Cheap enough I got 2 so I have a spare. It's been a few years.... Haven't used the spare.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to autozone or whatever and look at the cheap one in the box and then go to Napa and check that one out. Most of the time I can see a clear build quality difference and go with the better one. If you see no difference go with the cheaper one. I used a Napa one on my truck and it was better quality than the one I pulled off. I used a speedway motors on my 429 caddy last weekend and it was better than what was on there as well.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa is better then most. But even they're hit and miss.

For instance, the shop had a starter go out on a 2007 surburban w/ a 5.3. After 4 napa starters, different shims, and plenty of hair pulled, we finally got a starter who's bendix would work and would retract the gear out of the flywheel. Riddle me that one......

The shop is a napa autocare center w/ a 24 month/24k mile nationwide warranty parts and labor. To maintain that, we have to use napa parts, good or bad, so that's what we do.

Only a handful of companies actually make or remanufacture parts, dozens and dozens will rebox and resell them though. Most stores have a cheap and expensive line of parts. Sometimes the items are actually different, other times the only difference is the warranty period.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA has been the best for parts for me, stopped going to Oreillys after one too many wrong parts in their computer system and telling me a socket I needed for an axle nut doesn't exist. That said NAPA here seems to be dropping services they used to offer. Just stopped by my local one on the way home from work to find they don't make hydraulic hoses anymore.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think NAPA as a whole seems to be declining. There were a few good ones around here but they switched to Carquest, I'm inclined to believe it may have been a change in franchise cost.

There's still one napa here, but all the older people who knew their stuff seem to have been replaced by "kids" (in their 20s).

I go there once in a while, but they have bankers hours so they're usually closed when I need anything.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally it would be great if a rebuilt kit was available. No idea where the bearing and seal are being sourced from in replacement waterpumps.
I ended up with a driveworks from carquest only to be disappointed with made in china on the box. The driveworks replaced an orielly's pump that lasted two years.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally it would be great if a rebuilt kit was available. No idea where the bearing and seal are being sourced from in replacement waterpumps.
I ended up with a driveworks from carquest only to be disappointed with made in china on the box. The driveworks replaced an orielly's pump that lasted two years.

I will never ever buy driveworks brand again. I bought one to temporarily replace a worn out Moog pitman arm for warranty replacement. The brand new driveworks one had more slop than the two year old Moog!

I hope you have good luck, but I won't be taking chances on them again.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I will never ever buy driveworks brand again. I bought one to temporarily replace a worn out Moog pitman arm for warranty replacement. The brand new driveworks one had more slop than the two year old Moog!

I hope you have good luck, but I won't be taking chances on them again.

Yep, I put a set of driveworks ball joints in my Excursion. I was doing other work at a buddies shop and found that bad ball joints (I had ordered all the parts for the other work being done).. and the cheapies from Advance was all I could source at the last minute. They did not last to the next oil change (less than 5000 miles). I put XRF's in there now, and they are really nice. This was all part of the major service that I did on the front axle. All comsumeables have been replaced, or are on the shelf to be replaced. I have a set of steering links and a lockout to swap on now.