No rear brakes

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
A neighbor needs help. 1999 f-250 diesel 4 wheel disc. After changing rear brake calipers, rotor and pads he bleed brakes, last tueday. He drove truck 15 miles each way to work the next 3 days. Brake pedal was low so today he was re bleeding and I stopped to help him. No air but low pedal. I noticed the rotors had no scuff marks so I applied brakes and he could still turn the wheels. So only the fronts are working backs are not doing anything.
It must be something with antilock brake unit. He did not let master go dry. Any Idea's?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would pull the rear line off the master, pump brakes and see if its got pressure. then follow it to the rear.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
But the brakes worked previous to replacing calipers. But we could try that. I know some of the antilock you need a scan tool to bleed them but usually only if you let the master go dry.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove calipers...

Use clean dry air...put board in place of pads...blow air in see if pistons move out...could be crap or siezed calipers if he squeezed em back in too far.

If he is getting fluid out of calipers when bleeding he has fluid passing through system...stuck calipers is my guess...

JM7.ECW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might recheck the bleeding of the rear calipers. They should show the same amount of fluid bleeding out as the fronts. Not knowing much about 1999 calipers I'm only guessing but.. does this truck have an anti lock cylinder on the rear brakes like our idi has.. That MUST also be bled of air. Otherwise you will have braking issues.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe those are 4 wheel abs.
Can try going on soft ground and lock up the brakes a couple times. That'll cycle the abs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
are the bleeders on top, Ive seen them put on the wrong sides, the e-99 uses 2 right side calipers. if the driverside is in front of the axle.
nothing special to bleed them even with 4 wheel abs or 2 wheel abs.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
saw a 06 dodge at the shop today in for no brakes, guy did his own pads and twisted the calipers while installing, managed to kink both front lines over :dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's possible to get the wrong caliper, it will fit but the bleeder is on the bottom, not on top like it should be. Ask me how I know.