No Power

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished replacing both heads on my 7.3 IDI in a school bus. The task was done very carefully. The engine starts immediately. No heavy black smoke anytime. No power. While on a test ride, the engine took 5 miles to reach 45 MPH. Engine idles great. Engine revs at a standstill and will spin to 3600RPM. What is next? Advance the fuel injection pump? Turn up the FI pump? The trans is a rebuilt Allison AT 543. The air brakes are free, no drag. And I thot I knew about these IDI engines. Before heads change, bus would just scamper down the road. Any suggestions appreciated. Frank in Idaho

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How did you remove the injection pump when you did the heads. If you removed it with the gear cover still attached you probably have it out of gear timing. Utube has some guy that thinks removing the gear cover with the pump on it is the best way to do the job... Thats just not how to do it.... So... If what I have posted is correct you may have a big issue here. Otherwise maybe you need to time the engine by rotating the pump towards the passenger side of the rig.... Being a bus you need to know to turn the pump away from the drivers side... Is the lift pump working well.. a low fuel pressure will cause a low hp issue... A dirty or blocked air filter can cause low hp too but usually that shows up with lots of black exhaust...

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the fault is the timing.

I just reinstalled the pump. I mounted a new electric lift pump. I installed a new big rig fuel filter before the new electric pump. The fuel to the fi pump is great, Tomorrow or soon, gonna start twisting the pump. The temps just dropped to 34 degrees F. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat