No Power when Key Cycled

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got in my truck and turned the key, waited for the WTS light to turn off, when I twisted my key to engage the starter I lost all power, no lights on the dash, radio, motor didnt crank, nothing. I turned the key all the way back to the acc. position and the deck turned on as did the lights on the dash. I popped the hood and wiggled all my fuses, removed all 4 battery cables, wiggled the wires on the pump and solenoid on passenger side fender wall.
Got back in my truck turned the key on and the truck started first crank.
Got to work, shut my truck off and went to start it again and sure enough same thing, no power what so ever.
First step is going to be clean the battery terminals even though they show no corrosion, after that i am lost
any suggestions?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Check the cable connection from the passenger battery to the solenoid on the fender. There is a constant feed from there that will cause the symptoms you describe if it loses connection.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That cable looks fine but there is some yellow corrosion on the battery side of the cable.
I think its battery related, when I checked the cable I once again popped the battery cables and after reinstalling them it started. Maybe one just worked its self loose?
Fingers crossed thats all it is...

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help and this is so routine for me i don't pay attention to the dash lights or anything, but did you jiggle the shifter when getting in and out at all? On my truck sometimes if i turn the key and nothing happens i just have to use my left hand and hold the shifter up (with key turned to start) and then the truck starts. Probably just need to adjust the thing down on the transmission but i don't mind holding up on the shifter.

Last edited:

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
I have been a victim of this same thing. Power to cycle the plugs and turn on acces. but once you turn the key to the start position all is lost. My problem a simple bad connection with the terminal clamps and wires. Unfortunately the last person to own my truck put on the crappy clamp down terminals the cheapest you could buy at autozone. My soon to start project is to convert over to a set of group 31 1000 cca batteries and replace all the cables with some soldered welding terminals and 00 welding cable. Should work well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726