no glowplugs

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out to start the truck this morning and when I hit the key, I had no relay click or glow plug light on the dash.
I opened the hood and pulled the purple wire off the fender relay and jumped it from the battery to get the plugs warmed up.
I'm sure the controller that screws into the head is probably shot but I would like to see if it's even getting juice. Where does the main controller get power from?
I may have to wire in a manual push button for now but I prefer to have the original setup working. Thanks.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I have any takers on this? Another thing I noticed is that when I turn the key on, My water in fuel and engine temp light do not come on either. Are they on the same circuit? I really would appreciate some input on this. Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure your GPC runs off the key-on green wire/red stripe through the harness plug. Check the schematics in my Moosestang album for details.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i would just wire a push button in right now and forget about off the key cause i have had a controler stick on me and the after product aint that pretty when you just watched 100 dollars worth of plugs go up in smoke, i think i would have got more excitment out of burning a 100 dollar bill, i would have atleast burned my fingersLOL

cewofford

7.3 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
earlier my light didn't come on and it was the ground wire from the relay to the valve cover bolt that had seperated.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure your GPC runs off the key-on green wire/red stripe through the harness plug. Check the schematics in my Moosestang album for details.

I'll get out in the garage and start tracing wires. I couldnt enlarge the schematics enough to read them and my printer wouldnt print them for me.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I poked and looked around for something obvious but didnt find much.
I put a test light to the purple wire that feeds the relay and the test light only glows dim and never goes off. It isnt enough power to turn the relay on.

I'm not too keen on trying to change the controller out, as it is burried down behind the turbo and I've read stories of people breaking them trying to get them out.

I think what I'll probably do when time and money permits, is update to the new style system.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Just look at a junkyard for a 87-up. You can grab the whole engine harness and gpc together then. It is way worth the upgrade. Downside is messing around and changing the glows to zd9's.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
IMO, I second the notion of the manual pushbutton.

With that, you know without a doubt how long your burn time is, and you can adjust it acording to the outside temperature. The bonus of the manual PB is when priming the fuel system, you can keep the glowplugs from overheating.

Plus, I have a theory (which may be incorrect, but it's a theory) that longer-than-necesarry glowplug burn times will wipe out your battery capacity in the long run. The glowplugs pull a ton of amps from the battery, and everytime you draw the batteries down, and recharge them, you deplete some of there capacity. SO, with a manual PB you can heat your glowplugs just long enough to get the engine to fire up, and not draw your batteries down more than what is needed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist