Newbie with a few questions.

barry

Reaction score
What style and size exhausts did 6.2's come with from the factory(did it vary with body style and gvw)?
What does white smoke on start up mean(is it bad that my truck has more smoke on one side than the other, it has dual exhaust).
Did any 81-87 6.2 trucks/blazers come with factory tachs and is the wiring usually on all trucks? How hard is it(if possible) to and an aftermarket tach?

thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What style and size exhausts did 6.2's come with from the factory(did it vary with body style and gvw)?
What does white smoke on start up mean(is it bad that my truck has more smoke on one side than the other, it has dual exhaust).
Did any 81-87 6.2 trucks/blazers come with factory tachs and is the wiring usually on all trucks? How hard is it(if possible) to and an aftermarket tach?

thanks
welcome to the site!
As far as I can tell, the diesel exhaust came in one form and one size. Every one I have worked on and owned are dual 2". the differences between the light duty and the heavy duty was in the EGR or the lack of. I have never seen a factory tach option on the 83-91 OBS trucks. The newer chassis may have a tach option but I can't comment for sure. Autometer makes a aftermarket diesel tach that is fairly easy to mount up.
thanks for dropping in. Its a little quiet around here but I know there's three tech savvy members who really know the non-borg 6.2/6.5's who are in here quite a few times a day, so if you have any questions....just put up a post!;Sweet

mattb

Reaction score

all 6.2/6.5 came with 2" duals. even the hummers came with 2", but they had headers :D

could mean nothing as they are supposed to smoke a little at startup. then again it could mean a weak injector pump, retarded pump timing, dirty fuel filter or bad injectors.

thanks

no diesel came from chevy in this vintage with a tach. in fact, there were very few gassers that came with tachs either!

aftermarket tachs are easy to find and install. there are two styles: one that uses a flying magnet on wither the crank pulley or the alternator, and one that uses injector pulse. the injector ones are going to be the least expensive and easiest to find.

your welcome

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online