Newbie question

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im a prooud owner of an 89 ford with a non turbo idi. Know tons about it and like it. BUT, i found a smoking deal on a 90 dodge 350 with a 12valve. What kind of real life everday use hp and torque can you make out of a 1st gen 12valve. With and without spending tons of cash.

Will be glad to read any and all links that you post up. Any info is GREATLY appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Will

MMeier

Reaction score
No reason why you can't get 250-275 RWHP/ 700-750 TQ at the wheels out of it. Kinda hard to get an IC on the front of the early ones, but it can be done. I'd get it and ditch the ford thing. ;Sweet

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
a cummins is an awesome engine i just don't like the platform they come in
put a mechanical cummins in an OBS ford body with an allison tranny and than a guy would actually have a truck but until than i am a hard core IHI guy

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cummins engine is WAY too much motor for the Dodge platform. just about every Dodge I know from 94 on has some sort of electrical gremlin somewhere in the system, and the early manual transmissions were dogs that needed to be put out on the "farm" so to speak...

mocetane

Reaction score
Im a prooud owner of an 89 ford with a non turbo idi. Know tons about it and like it. BUT, i found a smoking deal on a 90 dodge 350 with a 12valve. What kind of real life everday use hp and torque can you make out of a 1st gen 12valve. With and without spending tons of cash.

Will be glad to read any and all links that you post up. Any info is GREATLY appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Will

Just do some performance searches. I am new to the 5.9 1st gen also. Just bought one 3 months ago.
You can wake it up for free buy doing the swiss cheese mod to the restricted air box. There are ways to tweek the injector pump for free. Better get a pyro before you do too much.
There is a lot out there that I have seen just by looking and reading.
My tranny is weak, so I am not going for the big #'s until I get it fixed.
Just do some searches....there is a ton of info out there if you look.
Good luck. Cummins rule:hail

redneck pride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u can turn the screw up on the back of the pump only take it in a couple of turns to far and you will end up fuelin it to much and shel rev until it blows. two er three turns max, and u wil have to turn the idle down after crankin the screw in, u can also adjust the fuel pin witch is under the top cap there is a site with instructions on how to do all this but i cant remember the name of it i think it is daves garage. com er somin like that and as for the cummins in a ford thing, that would be a joke cause the cummins would eat that poor thing up! lol

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I was in the same boat with my old 86 IDI. I loved the truck, but it was a 4 speed and it didn't have a turbo, and I need a trailer puller. It took a lot but I finally decided on my 92 Cummins to replace that Ford. Looking back I am VERY glad I did ;Sweet

I did like the Ford truck a little more, but that six cylinder is unbeatable imo. and with a Kingpin dana 60, 205 transfer case and 20+ mpg... I've learned to accept the Dodge body LOL

The VE pump engines have a lot of potential. Stock they are... well mine will do circles around my N/A IDI. And for under a thousand dollars you could really get some decent numbers from that Dodge.

You won't regret getting the Dodge :cool

blacksmoke

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a 1990 dodge ram d-250. The cummins is the best engine out there for a passenger truck. I cant say too much for the 727 powerlite that it is bolted to. It went out on me this morning, so if anyone has anything layin around that will bolt to the cummins.......?