New user and owner so please bare with me on my newbness.

learner

Reaction score
Hi Slydnclyde2!
Maybe we should form a " Newbies reviving old Ford 6.9's club "
My story is nearly the same, w/o the turbo. My 87 6.9 DID start, ( on 5 year old fuel !! ) smoked like a forest fire, ran a little better after a warm-up, rode REALLY well, off-road and on, and was surprisingly strong considering the poor ol' trucks situation. This is MY first diesel, too, and I expect to learn a LOT. ( thus the handle ) I, too, knew going in that there were likely to be problems, even expensive ones, but am a good enough mechanic that, like you, I'm not afraid of them. Hell, I'm looking FORWARD to them, I was beginning to get bored anyway.
I believe we BOTH made reasonable purchases. yours did beat mine by $800 and tires. I took mine in for a compression test, and my untrained ( in DIESEL, anyway! ) but very good senses were spot- on. I had one DEAD cylinder, and NONE of the other 7 did better than 280psi and factory MINIMUM is 350-400! STILL not afraid!! LOOKING FORWARD TO tearing it out, down , and re-building it. Perhaps you feel the same as I do, bringing these old, faithful trucks back into the world is worth the effort, and worthy of OUR skills.
Maybe we could help each other with the learning curve. I've been looking at rebuild parts kits, and have a couple of Ford Diesel advisers that are not members here. If you'ld like I'll pass on what I find out. I only joined this forum 2 weeks ago myself, and found a bunch of great, helpful people here, and I LOVE to help as well.Let's keep in touch.

learner

Reaction score
DANG!- that was a fast reply! Then it's a deal! Do you need an engine manual? I'll send the link to the PDF I downloaded that another member sent ME ( once I figure out how to navigate this forum to find it!!LOL. I know by my own research that International (the engine's builder) wants to charge $168 for just the ENGINE manual. The online PDF was FREE. Give me about 10 minutes to pass it on.....,

learner

Reaction score
To THIS old FORD zealot, it's more like a religious calling.... but I'm not COMPLETELY sectarian, I've also revived MANY Chevy's in my day. I'ts just that my IMMEASURABLE curiosity is still alive. (thus the handle)

learner

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Maybe we could get the moderator/site manager to set up a " IDI information here" link on the page header.

Slydinclyde2

Reaction score
Been reading through those but always open to links that may not be posted on site or buried in a 80 page thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk