New turbo DOA?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have oil in my wastegate line as well. I think it's normal if you run a CDR.

A loose up pipe will make a huge difference. Mine made no boost and lots of engine noise with a loose up pipe.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have oil in my wastegate line as well. I think it's normal if you run a CDR.

A loose up pipe will make a huge difference. Mine made no boost and lots of engine noise with a loose up pipe.

K thx. Will check that. I dislike that stupid cdr anyway. Did you do a delete? I have been thinking about a rdt that dumps into the exhaust a little ways back. Think that would work?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Honestly I don't see how you possibly have that bad of luck to blow up that many good turbos. lol To answer a question, yes the crank case evac type system works great with our trucks I use it on all of our turbo trucks except my dads right now.

About the turbo again, my money is on a boost leak, a big one. Like... intake valley pan blew out or an oring on the charged air side is no longer on this planet. Give it a look over.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something like that happen to my old vw. Looking back I had warning signs like a slight nasty smell with the window down. And intermittent turbo boost for whatever reason.

Towards the end before I broke things down the turbo was almost inactive, then a slight extra ticking noise and finally it started to sound like an old vw bug :)

For me it was an exhaust leak. When I broke it down I found a couple studs hand loose and one broke off in the head. I was lucky and broke it all down, cleaned and replaced with new parts and its been fine since. No more smell and the turbo boosts, etc.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
About the turbo again, my money is on a boost leak, a big one. Like... intake valley pan blew out or an oring on the charged air side is no longer on this planet. Give it a look over.

Out of curiosity since I see a lot of people guessing boost leak, wouldn't it still have the turbo whistle on the exhaust?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like we are doing too much guessing here. This should be simple.

A) - Does the turbo spin? Have you removed the intake elbow and felt the shaft for play and to see how it turns?

B) - Does the exhaust leak anywhere?

I mean these are not hard questions to answer, so did I miss something?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Problem found!

This will make everyone chuckle a little I think. I still can't figure out how in the world I managed to miss this last night. I guess it's like they say, its usually the simple things!

Anyway, the Wastegate actuator arm had somehow popped off during the trip, leaving the WG to do whatever it wanted. :rotflmao I tried and tried to get that arm reconnected this morning but it just would NOT reach. I'm probably a 1/4" short of being able to reconnect the arm. Whats the trick here??

Could I have potentially caused any damage to my turbo driving home like this last night? I was very carefull to keep EGTs under 1k. Could it have damaged the hot wheel though?

To drive in to work this morning I did a little backwoods riggin w/ what I had at the house and it does spool up now. I didn't push it back about 6 psi and it is still opening (the WG) so I'm sure I'll need to do a better job holding that arm in place.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The trick to connecting the arm to the boost cannister is add pressure to the boost cannister till it reaches the wastegate arm. That shortness in your cannister arm to the wastegate lever is the spring preload that keeps the wastegate closed. Around 7 or 10 lbs will make the arm and lever come together easy. Glad you found the problem...:angel:

wmoguy

Reaction score
The trick to connecting the arm to the boost cannister is add pressure to the boost cannister till it reaches the wastegate arm. That shortness in your cannister arm to the wastegate lever is the spring preload that keeps the wastegate closed. Around 7 or 10 lbs will make the arm and lever come together easy. Glad you found the problem...:angel:

thx Gary, that makes sense! I'm not sure how to regulate it down to 7-10 psi from my air compressor and the air chuck I have. I'd hate to damage the WG, any ideas how to get that low of a pressure pumped in the hose?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You don't have a regulator on your compressor? Thats how I do it. Use the regulator on the compressor to regulate the pressure down to where you want it.

wmoguy

Reaction score
You don't have a regulator on your compressor? Thats how I do it. Use the regulator on the compressor to regulate the pressure down to where you want it.

yea I suppose I could try that? I'm not sure mine would regulate down to that low of pressure, never tried it. I'll give it a whirl. Thx

Can the WG can and bracket be removed easily w/ the turbo on the truck? I figured now would be a good time to pull it off, drill out those lock indents on the arm and reinstall it so I can be WG'ed at around 15 psi.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I laugh at your expense,:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Just glad that is all it is, nothing should be hurt.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score

Could you kind of desribe the noise it made. my truck make a noise similar to a snake hissing when i am on the throttle. i also can see black soot around the uppipe connection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.