New Truck With An Issue

1994IDI

Reaction score
I have joined the crowd around here. I picked up an '02 2500, Cummins, 4x4
NV4500, DANA 80 in back, DANA 60 UP FRONT (I think), Rodeo Package, 113,000 miles.
It is bone stock except for the exhaust, which is just a straight pipe. I will post up some pictures later if anyone is interested, but I'm at work right now.

I am having an issue mostly before the truck reaches operating temp., it goes something like this.

I will be driving normally, accelerating through the gears, then once I reach 3rd or 4th, and push the accelerator, nothing happens.. the truck continues to idle as though the clutch is still disengaged. It climbs through the RPMS VERY slowly. If I hold the pedal down long enough, it's like the truck realizes that its supposed to be accelerating, then jolts to a get go. Or I can back out of the pedal a few times and eventually it will come out of it.
Does anyone have any ideas? If you need a better explanation, let me know and I'll do my best.

Thanks

Jared

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i were u id take it to a shop and have it put on a computer, ive delt with cummins alot before sounds like a computer or fuel problem, have ur pump tested to

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick and easy way to check for some not all codes is the key trick on the late 2000-02 models.
Insert your ignition key. Turn it to the OFF position. Now turn it ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON in less than 5 seconds. Leave it in the on position. In the odometer display it should start to display codes. It starts with P PCU errors. This is to notify you that the error codes are coming. They would show up as Pnnnn. All error codes are listed in 4 digits. Write down all Pnnnn error codes that are displayed. P Done will notify that P PCU error code list is done. Now we display P ECU errors. This is to notify you that the error codes are coming.

Some common codes are:
0216- injection pump and i believe 1689 is lift pump.

The best way to test the lift pump is to bump the starter without starting it and that will make the lift pump run, listen for the pump up by the block or in the tank. If you dont hear it running you need a new lift pump

-Jordan-

1994IDI

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information Jordan.

I forgot to post that I have ran the codes, and all that came up was a 1682 - low charging system voltage. Any ideas?

Anyone else dealt with the above problem?

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm that was the only code huh? Well from that code I would get your batteries load tested and your alternator checked out.

-Jordan-