New to us truck at work.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day all,
I was wondering if the V10 owners could offer some help on MPG ideas.
2005 f350 scales at 8700lbs
Gets 8 ish MPG
I know nothing about these engines except I didnt want it in the fleet.
Is this mileage good, normal or excessive.
TIA
Russ

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had one but the consensus I always hear is that mpg sounds about right. Most I have heard usually say around 8 or 9 empty or overload.

James

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve never owned one, but have heard from people that have, they are single digit gas mileage engines….

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back before I bought my Dodge, I looked at 3 different Ford V10s. 8 or 9 mpg is what I was told they get. I never was impressed with their power, the two early ones I looked at were downright slow, like naturally aspirated IDI slow... the 08 I looked at was much better, but it was an automatic and I didn't want that... plus I started out a Dodge guy... so when the opportunity arose to buy the Dodge I have now, I jumped on it. The truck was never advertised as for sale, the guy asked me if I wanted to buy it. It seems to have much more torque than the Ford V10s I was around, I think it runs smoother, and it gets 11 mpg. Towing or empty, drivin like a lead footed kid or a grandpa, it gets 11. But that's irrelevant, we are talking about Ford V10s, not Dodge ones... I think the spark plugs self eject on the 6.8 V10s like the 5.4s do...

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's normal.

Dad has an 04 f350 4x4 v10 automatic and gets about the same 8 loaded/10 unloaded.

About the only thing that I know of to increase fuel mileage is to place a rock behind the gas pedal. No k+n filters, air intakes, headers, or other gimmicks work. Normally you can eek half a mpg or so out with a diablosport tuner, but even that resulted in nothing measurable.

His has enough power, he bought it to tow a tri-axle car trailer, and it will hold 80 down the interstate no problem.

Ones with plug issues were pre 02. Post 02 can blow them out if they're not properly torqued with copper antiseize applied. Other then that they're pretty reliable. Only other thing I'll see is the typical rust belt issues with all trucks, aka broken manifold studs/bolts and cracked exhaust manifolds, but that's a problem without much of a solution imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86