New to the scene Some info would be great!

Blacktop

Reaction score
Hello all.

I bought a 1990 Dodge 350 dully 2wd reg. cab,205,000 miles. I got it with a bad getrag, I bought 3 other transmissions and had one good one built at a local transmission shop. I just got it on the road and I really like it. My intentions are to use it to pull an enclosed trailer that I haul motorcycles from my shop in. I am happy with the power it makes so I'm not looking to make a monster of it I just want it to live and be reliable. Here are some questions I have-

The fella I got it from told me he turned up the pump, I understand to gain more power. I and a firm beliver that every mod like this has some ill effects. What are they and should I put it back to stock settings or what should I do to compensate. I plan and adding a pyro gauge , what is the temp it should run at and where is the temp when I will see problems. Do I need a boost gauge? Is a intercooler a benifit for a fairly stock truck? What can I do to make the getrag live? I hear they are a poor transmission.

I am new to diesel's but am good with tools so I think this truck and I will get along fine with some good information and a little care. Thanks in advance for your help, infomation and ideas.

Ryan H

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yes you need a pyro and boost gage. These will give you information about your engine and let you know if you're over working it. Your EGT should not excede 1200* and depending on how far the guy turned up the pump, you'll probably be OK. As long as you upgrade properly your transmission and engine should be fine. Intercoolers are always a help as they reduce the temerature of the air going into the intake.

If you're hauling a lot you may want to have the rear axle bearings inspected or replaced. They tend to go bad. You may also want ot get the front suspension checked for bad ball joints and tie rod ends.

Welcome.

Blacktop

Reaction score
Two more questions, what is a bhaf and old smokey mount?? Is there anywhere with pictures and how to. Also on my 90 right below my windshield washer tank there is a small black box (maybe 4in. by 4 in.) what is it, on my truck it is unpluged and the plug is taped up? Thanks again

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
BHAF = Big Honkin Air Filter - this is basically a home-brew open element air filter system that uses the biggest filter NAPA carires attached to the intake tube.

Old Smokey = a style of air filter mount designed for the 1st Gen dodge trucks to allow use of an open element air filter (like a K&N) in the stock location. A search on this forum will provide pictures and information.

Can't help with the box by the washer tank. My truck is 9k miles on the other side of the planet. Someone else should be able to help with that one.

Again, there is a lot of information here. Use the search function and I'm willing to bet you'll find out all you need to know and a lot that you probably didn't want to know.

Blacktop

Reaction score
I now know what the blackbox under the washer tank is. My truck is canadian and the box is a day time light controler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance