New to PSD (swapping a 460 - PSD) HELP!!

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
OK, so I go on-line this morning and snag a running 95' plane jane f250 PSD w/a 97' engine and 5speed for $500. The story is the valve cover gaskets are trash and the guy over tightens them shorting 2 injectors.

A.
Is this BS or could that happen?

B.
What should I look for if this is BS?

Here's the skinny, I've got an awsome 97' supercrew HD F250 shortbed. It runs like a streek of **** but has a serious drinking problem. I've been on-line asking about doing a cummins swap then this PSD falls into my lap.

If I can get the PSD running right how hard is the swap?
I'm assuming the fuse box should accept the harness from the doner.
The engine should clear because both engines were offerd in the same body.
The gauge cluster should swap so I have the GP light.
What else am I missing?

mojoman

Reaction score
not sure but I believe the tranny is gonna be an issue.....someone who "knows" will pipe up soon enuff...good luck with your project

mojo

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes its possible for the harness to take out two injectors but its probably not from over tightening the VC. Its probably from a bad glow plug(s) that pulled too much current and melted the connectors. Very easy fix.

Now if you want to swap the PSD into the gasser you will need the entire truck for the donor. Its a big project but it is doable. Many many have been done already.

Welcome to OB Joe.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
How right you are. Just pulled the pass side VC and 2 of the GP connectors are cooked at the inner plug. Unfortunatly they're on each harrness meaning I have to buy both. Man, now I know why I stuck w/IDI's for so long. So I'm getting 2 new GP's today as well.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
I just finished and I still have the miss, i ran the truck for a few minutes and then checked by hand the exhaust manifolds. The drivers side is all hot the pass is cold on 1 and 3. I don't know what to do now. The GP's checked-out. I took the VC off and am going to run the engine again and listen w/a screwdriver to hear if they're poping. Any Ideas?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to run a buzz test and a CCT test. The buzz test will ring each solenoid on top of the injectors and you'll be able to hear them "work" and the CCT (cylinder contribution test) can be used to determine if the injector is fueling the cylinder.

Youll need a scan tool to do either of these tests.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
I don't have any of those, I guess it means a trip town the Ford garage. I listened to the inj and didn't hear anything on any of them. I forgot to mention that it takes cranking on it for a goo ten seconds before it fires right up. There is no smoke even when you run it up to 2000.

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
I was just reading about installing new inj's. It said that the truck would run rough for a while after. Could this be the case here. If mine havent been firing for a while, might they have air in them or something.

Just spent the last half hour drag racing it up and down a paved country road, here's how it went.

Started off jerking and chugging, got up to about 2500 I held it there for a moment then pressed down. It ****** then took off to redline. I shifted to 4th it ****** a little less then 3500. 5th it just started building boost and I got up to around 90. I stopped and took off again repeating this same procedure until it started running almost good, maybe a tiny amount of miss. It's definately hitting all 8 just not every time. Tomorrow I'm going to run a can of seafoam through it and see what it does. When I shut it down it started right up. I going to check it again here in a while to see if it has any bleed-off.

Last edited:

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
That's the way it's sounding. How do i check the pump? Can I bleed it? Is the filter on the rail? Something else i didn't mention was while it was missing it also ran very close to dry.

I just went out a few min ago and it started on the first rev. YAAAA!!!!

Tomorrow I'll go to town and get some oil and filters and more fuel and we'll see if she gets better. Another thing I noticed while undernieth today was the factory 308,000mile cat and ****. I think those will go tommorrow as well.

Now I'd just like to know how hard/easy it will be to do the swap?

Last edited:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Just my .02, but I had a similar situation with an 03 PSD when I bought it. 3 of the 8 injectors were dead until the truck warmed up after running it for a little bit. the buzz test & CCT will answer that question for ya as Mike said. Could be a weak HPOP too. you could be losing the prime overnite making for hard starting in the morning.

Doing injectors is pretty simple if you've been under the covers already. Just be sure to clean out the cups before you put the new inj. in & leave the glowplugs out, then bump the engine over to evacuate the residual oil in the cups so you don't hydrolock the motor. Then drop the GP's back in. It will run like crap until all the air works its way out of the system.

mojoman

Reaction score
I don't have any of those, I guess it means a trip town the Ford garage. I listened to the inj and didn't hear anything on any of them. I forgot to mention that it takes cranking on it for a goo ten seconds before it fires right up. There is no smoke even when you run it up to 2000.

hold up there...Ford will charge you almost half the cost of a good scanner....they want 150 here in BC to scan my truck...I hung up...found a friend who's friend has a scanner...cost me 70 bux...I'll be gettin' an AE when I'm back to work...the first 2 fixes the scanner helps with will pay for the unit...at least thats my way of thinking

mojo

1800joedaddy

Reaction score
What kind of scanner? Where can I get 1? Does anybody know of a link to a swap that's been done? I'd love to keep my auto tranny, I've heard people pay good jack for a good shifting ZF5spd.