new to me, 94 psd obs powerstroke

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI pulling my trailer was just a dog, I had to upgrade, so I am going with a nice early powerstroke I found for 5k. blue, dually, four door, xlt, tow package, camper top, 5-speed. I am selling my 92' if anyone is in the market. I'll post up some pics tomorrow, after I pick it up. I am getting ready to dive into the psd specific faq section. any advice? first thing I plan to do is put in some sca's, hopefully the PO has done this already. or has been keeping up with this.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The psd's don't require the sca's like the idi's do. But it's not too bad of an idea. I would just run the fleetrite coolant.
You may also read up on the uvch's.
Read up on the cps sensor.
Adding a coolant filter.
Look into a 3 inch downpipe.
A tuner/programmer/chip is pretty useless on a 94. The stock injectors are already basically running at max.

That's about all I can think of right now. Any other questions just ask. I have more experience with the obs psd's than the ford idi's. But these are still pretty simple.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The psd's don't require the sca's like the idi's do. But it's not too bad of an idea. I would just run the fleetrite coolant.
You may also read up on the uvch's.
Read up on the cps sensor.
Adding a coolant filter.
Look into a 3 inch downpipe.
A tuner/programmer/chip is pretty useless on a 94. The stock injectors are already basically running at max.

That's about all I can think of right now. Any other questions just ask. I have more experience with the obs psd's than the ford idi's. But these are still pretty simple.

found a 100 intercooler from a 2002 on CL, looking into the DP upgrade. plan to check the UVCH and fix with the quarter trick. fleet diesel coolant filter, got it. no chipping eh? well that puts a damper on things. will hsve to wait till I go home for upgrades.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A chip may help a little. Just not much for the price paid. That's why I don't have one on my 94. But you can try it. Look into the tw chips.
Any of the bullydog, hypertech, and programmers like that are no good for the powerstroke.
The custom tunes are the bees knees. A lot of places offer them.
A intercooler definitely helps for towing.
The UVCH on our years of trucks have 2 connectors per bank, IIRC I don't believe the quarter trick works. But the new harness plus valve cover gaskets really isn't too much. I think around $100 for both sides.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you check out our sister site superdutydiesel.com .no matter what you do, you will only see a max 75hp increase with stock injectors.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not buy the valve cover gaskets from autozone.the parts they have been selling lately are junk.ive had more comebacks in the last 3 months than ive had in 20 years cuz of thier parts failing.they are in the process of switching to all chinese parts and gaskets.they all but refused to order me a fel-pro headset.kept trying to force thier junk duralast chinese gaskets down my throat till I told them they will lose all my business.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the trucks rear tank won't switch, so the PO has an electric pump set up to fill the front tank, and he said something about having to use the e-pump when towing. I am going to check this out today and will post pictures, and get info. Owned by an older couple, with all of the paperwork and dealer only maint. He was concerned when I told hi, I was towing 10k and said the gvw has never been exceeded, which he read off as 7600 and some change, is this going to be an issue? i thought the 350 can handle that no prob?

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not buy the valve cover gaskets from autozone.the parts they have been selling lately are junk.ive had more comebacks in the last 3 months than ive had in 20 years cuz of thier parts failing.they are in the process of switching to all chinese parts and gaskets.they all but refused to order me a fel-pro headset.kept trying to force thier junk duralast chinese gaskets down my throat till I told them they will lose all my business.

I warn people about "auto-junk" I have noticed the same thing, bad fuel pump they go to the zone a couple times cuz off the shelf is junk and doesn't work, good thing it has a warranty.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you check out our sister site superdutydiesel.com .no matter what you do, you will only see a max 75hp increase with stock injectors.

so DP, and resistor mods? should push that right? cheap too relatively compared to a chip or tune, cutting out the cat is cheap/free too, free up some ponies. read a little on the steve baz site moved to here:

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
an intercooler from a 2002 ps is available for 100 bones good deal? I will also need appropriate tubing, clamps, and hose, where to source? I plan to haul 2200 miles to VA on the 40

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

Even the dorman kit?
What brand would be best?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online