New to me 6.9, hello and questions!

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harm crawler! I'm used to the crowd over there. heaven knows I haven't always been the most friendly over there neither.

Good old pirate. I hope that wasn't warhogs first foray into looking for answers. Kind of a rough crowd

haha, yeah, it sure is. But i've been on there for a few years, so it's all good.

Anyhow, here's a picture, some of you must recognize it, and can point me to his username so I can read through his threads and see what kind of a mess he made that I haven't found yet. Overall, it's a good rig. Cosmetics aren't the best, but i've never been one to care for that. Once it's mechanically sound, i'll be happy as hell. The radio harness was even cut, i need my tunes! BUT, it drives good, and I got a lot of livestock i'm looking to pick up!

You must be registered for see images attach

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, got the heater core replaced (no one had mine in stock, but a newer one actually fit!) Ripped out a good portion of the crummy random wiring he had going on. Got my glow plug light to work (it was unplugged!), and ordered my glow plugs themselves. The solenoid seems to be working fine now, just pretty sure the plugs are shotso. Won't be til monday for the glow plugs so just tying up some loose ends, bulbs, etc now. The block heater wasn't working, found a fired wire and fixed it...Gonna check on it on a bit and see if she's warming up :) Happy to see things coming together.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well boys. Old grendel had heart failure today, and couldn't be saved. Appreciate the help and input you all gave, and look forward to bugging yall again very soon.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
??? I read every post on this thread, If you named your truck "Old Grendel" I missed it, is your truck dead???

If you are West Tn. I am nearby and can help

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey buddy, yeah i figured i'd give it a name to memorialize it lol. Got the glow plugs straightend out, everything worked like a charm for a while. Woke up today like any other day, let it warm up for about 20 minutes. Was driving to work and it started knocking pretty bad. I slowed down and it started to go away, but as soon as i sped up, you might as well have thrown dynamite into the thing. Hard to describe but it was pretty awful sounding on the bottom end and the top passenger side. Everything from banging, crunching, marbles, and everything else along with enough smoke to look like i was on fire. i rolled it to the side of the road and got it towed home and looked at the basics, there's oil pouring out the back passenger side of the block, carb and air cleaner was filled with oil, excess diesel, and something clear (water? didn't smell like diesel) enough that i could pour it out in a bucket. Both mufflers are soaked in oil on the inside, and there doesn't sound to be any compression when cranking. Something broke free and raised cane on the internals. All the glow plugs came out and went in fine, no broken tips. I checked the new ones after the breakdown, they're still in great shape. So i don't know, my uneducated guess is oil shouldn't be where it is so cracked block, cracked piston? threw a rod? No clue. only about 150k on it so it's a shame. Could have been a very rough, unmaintained 150k though. The past week or two before i got the glow plugs straightend out I had to use starting fluid so that could likely be the culprit.

No worries though, sometime next week I should be getting a great big box delivered. :santa: I ordered a fully complete reman from a ford re manufacture dealer and will be having it installed mid next week. She's already gone under the knife, and i've been disconnecting what I can, to cut down on labor costs later so they can just yank the old, and plop the new. I know a lot of you will say just go with a junkyard motor, but i've done a good 15 swaps of junk yard motors in other cars, and maybe 8 or so transmissions....more often than not i'm the guy with the bad luck. And even with warranty, it's still a friggn pain to yank it again. Heck, I did an 01 monte carlo with a blown motor...went through THREE junk yard motors within a week. Under warranty, but each time the guy said "now we know this one works..." This way here, starting fresh, and don't have to worry. Just don't ask me how much it cost lol

edit: by the way, i'm in East TN but seriously appreciate the offer. If i'm out your way someday i'll buy you a beer.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9. Hasn't been shipped out yet so i imagine i could change tomorrow if i wanted to. My concern with going 7.3 was what parts won't swap from the 6.9 if needed? From my understanding it's the exactly same engine just bored out, so everything is the same..but my understanding is limited so I went with the six niner. shrug

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9. Hasn't been shipped out yet so i imagine i could change tomorrow if i wanted to. My concern with going 7.3 was what parts won't swap from the 6.9 if needed? From my understanding it's the exactly same engine just bored out, so everything is the same..but my understanding is limited so I went with the six niner. shrug

I would stick with the 6.9 reman unless the company sleeves their 7.3 engines.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rather than make a new thread...I got the run around with the company I ordered my engine from, so I cancelled that one and went with a different company (getting delivered tomorrow mornin finally.) So now that the trucks getting torn apart, I figured, what a better time to do the clutch? i searched some threads and seen some raves about south bend. I called them up today but he made it seem like I was asking for a lugnut off a covered wagon. Pretty much told me they don't make clutches for them anymore, as you can no longer buy parts/flywheels for them. Seemed pretty strange, seeing how many of our generation trucks are still on the road and most certainly not all on the original clutch.

He did some searching through wherever they store stuff, and found "the last kit." It's a basic stock "heavy duty" upgrade, and I believe he said it was 12". Some reading elsewhere suggests some members have found the stock flywheel to already have holes for the 12". Anyone here confirm that? Or do I need a new flywheel from somewhere now?