New to forum

johnQ1

Reaction score
I have recently started working on many different years and models of diesel engines since taking a part time job at the local fire department and consequently I have will have many more questions about some of the trucks that differ greatly from my 12 valve Cummins. This forum seems to have some great information on it and will be a good source I am certain especially with my latest challenge a 92 F 350 IDI 7.3

johnQ1

Reaction score
It appears so.
Maybe you have ran across the problem I am having with a 92 F350 Navistar IDI.
The engine does not like to start after sitting for awhile and doesn't have to be a cold start. It is like the fuel is bleeding off from the injector pump. Tested glow plugs yesterday found two bad replaced them with no change other than I think I have a leak on one of the return lines now that I am going to work on this morning.
It usually takes two or three tries with long cranking times (30 seconds or so) before it fires off runs great after that.

mitch20

Reaction score
johnQ1
I had a similar problem with mine when i got it, i had to crank it over two or three times with long cranks before it woukd start but after she fired it ran great.
i replaced all the glow plugs and i honestly read the owners manual and it said for a cold start in moderate weather give it about half throttle while cranking and release after about 2-3 seconds and i gave it a go and no lie she popped right off. been starting fine ever since. i also had to tune the pump a tiny bit.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears so.
Maybe you have ran across the problem I am having with a 92 F350 Navistar IDI.
The engine does not like to start after sitting for awhile and doesn't have to be a cold start. It is like the fuel is bleeding off from the injector pump. Tested glow plugs yesterday found two bad replaced them with no change other than I think I have a leak on one of the return lines now that I am going to work on this morning.
It usually takes two or three tries with long cranking times (30 seconds or so) before it fires off runs great after that.
time for an injection pump. do a search on "hot soak" and you should find plenty of stories like yours.

johnQ1

Reaction score
Replaced the injector return O Rings and hoses and the engine starts and runs like a top. Not a bad job too me about 3 hrs to complete and the truck seems to run a little better than before. Back at its station crew is happy they have their Type 6 back.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the injector return O Rings and hoses and the engine starts and runs like a top. Not a bad job too me about 3 hrs to complete and the truck seems to run a little better than before. Back at its station crew is happy they have their Type 6 back.
you didn't mention anything about leaky injectors earlier. remember a diagnosis is only as good as the information provided.

johnQ1

Reaction score
They weren't showing any signs of leaking.
One of the other guys posted it as a possibility in a separate post I made and when I checked it out I did find the O rings hard and brittle.
Bought the kit from NAPA and got it back on line.
Thanks for your help as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.