New Texas Member

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys.
My name is Chris.
I live in the South-East Texas Panhandle in Memphis, TX (Hall County) right on US 287.

I have been a member over on FTE since 2008 and finally decided to make a profile over here.
I have owned several OBS trucks. A 1994.5 and 1996 Powerstroke but this is my first IDI.
1994 IDI w/Turbo 4x4 CC 5-spd with 262K on the odometer.

The Good:
-starts REALLY well/easily cold/hot weather and cold/hot motor
-had reciepts for new Ujoints, rear driveshaft, brakes, etc.
-single mass flywheel already installed
-gauges installed (which hopefully means he kept an eye on his EGTs

the bad:
-smokes badly on deceleration when throttle is not fully released (blue or white..I cant tell from the drivers seat)
-has a miss on acceleration but not at idle
-needs new tie rod (maybe just bushing) on FP side
-PO painted all the chrome flat black which is flaking off in places (especially around windshield)

What I have planned for her (once I fix the miss and smoke problems):
-6637 filter, downpipe (if the IDI pipe is crap like the powerstroke), straightpipe exhaust
-coolant filter and transmission filter (I assume dieselsite makes one for it)
-swap for the manual side mirrors (I hate how those electronic ones look)
-add third gauge (not sure what yet) and move cluster to A-pillar
-pull front/rear bench and install front and rear 40/20/40 seat with 08 center consoles
-remove that god-awful rear bumper and install either a stocker or ranch-hand style
-install my CB, and VHF radio
-install either my siren box or switches (to operate my offroad lights..KC style)
-sliding rear window, headache rack, bed mounted toolbox and/or fuel tank w/pump
-Anything else yall can think of?

The Truck:

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Do you know how many miles are on the injection pump and injectors. How many miles are on the truck. Usually if the injectors and return line kit is painted grey they are generally thought to be original. Anything over around 125,000 miles and the fuel system is in need of replacement. Hope you enjoy this site. Mostly a family type location with very little member bashing.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Do you know how many miles are on the injection pump and injectors. How many miles are on the truck. Usually if the injectors and return line kit is painted grey they are generally thought to be original. Anything over around 125,000 miles and the fuel system is in need of replacement. Hope you enjoy this site. Mostly a family type location with very little member bashing.

Im assuming they are orig. I figure they are good for 100-150K so are in need of replacement pretty badly (truck has 262K).
Its on the list of things to do, but I have to wait until I get payed lol all it takes is money.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I just don't have several hundred bucks to spend on a bumper. They price them things for their weight in gold!

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
My point exactly lol I found one on c-list a while back for 500, turns out it didn't even come with mounts! I would have had to fab my own. They are nearly 1000 brand new, thats nearly what I payed for the whole truck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
a number of things come to mind for that smoke on decel, but for starters, it would be a good idea to get a new CDR just to eliminate that variable and it's most likely due anyway. after that could be valve seals or any number of things.
On any old diesel , it's good to run a couple of full treatments of Auto Rx and give it a thorough cleaning and get the thing functioning the way it's supposed to before trying to make any kind of diagnosis. Youd be amazed at what cleaning out your rings and passeges and getting all the seals functioning properly can do for an engine.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That front bumper, those steps and wheels are hideous. I'll do you a big favor and take them off your hands for you.

Nice truck though! A new fuel system, ip, injectors and return lines will do wonders if they're original or have a lot of miles on them. Pump from Agnem, a member here, if you have the cash or a quality reman from Oregon Fuel Injection if you don't. Injectors from Agnem or typ4, along with a return kit. Might as well get a CARTER lift pump, not a delphi or the junk they sell at autozone, so you'll have a fresh fuel system.

Pyro, oil press and water temp are bare essential gauges but you probably know that from your powerstrokes.

Welcome. We're good at helping you spend your money here.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That front bumper, those steps and wheels are hideous. I'll do you a big favor and take them off your hands for you.

Nice truck though! A new fuel system, ip, injectors and return lines will do wonders if they're original or have a lot of miles on them. Pump from Agnem, a member here, if you have the cash or a quality reman from Oregon Fuel Injection if you don't. Injectors from Agnem or typ4, along with a return kit. Might as well get a CARTER lift pump, not a delphi or the junk they sell at autozone, so you'll have a fresh fuel system.

Pyro, oil press and water temp are bare essential gauges but you probably know that from your powerstrokes.

Welcome. We're good at helping you spend your money here.

lol thanks!

thanks for the tips guys. Once I get payed, Ill be able to start replacing fuel system parts...all it takes is money.

Well she already has two gauges in it from the PO, EGT and BOOST (for what its worth for an idi...all 5-8psi of boost lol). I think I am going move the EGT gauge and install a a-pillar pod and do oil pressure, H20 temp, and EGT

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a number of things come to mind for that smoke on decel, but for starters, it would be a good idea to get a new CDR just to eliminate that variable and it's most likely due anyway. after that could be valve seals or any number of things.
On any old diesel , it's good to run a couple of full treatments of Auto Rx and give it a thorough cleaning and get the thing functioning the way it's supposed to before trying to make any kind of diagnosis. Youd be amazed at what cleaning out your rings and passeges and getting all the seals functioning properly can do for an engine.

That's a wise idea sir. I will probably spring for a new CDR....thankfully there is an IH house about an hr or so west of me so I don't have to drive to amarillo, TX for dealer only parts.

As for cleaning out the fuel system, I have been running ATF (in my fuel tank) through the system to clean everything out (I know some people say it tears up the system but its all getting replaced anyway in a few weeks/months so what does it really matter?).
I also have been running 2-cycle oil in my fuel in hope it might help clean/lube everything up and/or free up stuck parts.
I dont have too much high hopes though...especially with 262K miles on the injectors/IP (they are in need of replacement anyway)

Unfortunately, I havent seen any change after several tanks of ATF/fuel and 2stroke/fuel....but Im going to keep trying until I spring for new fuel system parts.

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Nice lookin truck....not gonna take much to make it proud! Let me know when you swap your seats out, I'm always needing seats!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online