New radiator in

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
All is well. Flushed the system with chemicals, then flushed with water. Old one came out, new one in. New upper and lower hoses, and primed the system with 64 oz of NAPAKOOL. Now that I'm running a coolant filter with new fluid and rad and stuff, I'm very happy this overheating crap is over.

Something I noticed when I took the old one out is that my trans fluid is going into the oil cooler, not the engine oil. Which is funny because there is an external cooler for the trans fluid also. AND...the new radiator is only a 3 row, not a 4 row like the one I took out. BUT, concidering that its new and has a limited lifetime warranty (meaning I get one free), its better than before.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also I've been doing some minor replacements, and repairs to the truck which include new hood to cowl seal, re-doing my trailer plug wiring for my new 7 way plug, adding more tie down locations on the bed rails, and of course repairing my 2 fuel tanks which saved me a bunch of money.

I think next thing to do sometime is valve cover gaskets.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Nice. Have you had an opportunity to see what she does now? I want to get one that eliminates my cooling issues but I fear anything less than an aluminum one.

Any problems?

THad

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are turboed and or towing that 3 row wont cut it. I had one and it never would keep the engine cool.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
New rads from Advance. No turbo, and no towing yet. However, driving on a hot, humid day on the highway with the a/c on would make the truck overheat before. Now, there is no signs of overheating in the near future. It gets up to temp and stays there.

If I were to give anyone advise on a radiator, I would ask if their truck made them money...and if it does, get a good aluminum one. Or at least a 4 row stock one, not the 3 row one like mine. When I opened up the box and saw the 3 rows, I wasnt going to tell them no just because its one less. I dont tow for a living anymore so it was a good enough deal for me. I'm very happy.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Oh yeah, something else I noticed was the old radiator cap was 7psi. The new one is 12psi. I was told that sometimes when you have a system that overheats, you can get away with a lower psi cap so that it can go to the overfill resivoir sooner and aid in the overheating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim