New Problem, love winter! Vacuum Pump Bearing Out, Pulley Ceased

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, thanks to old man winter (I never have problems with my truck in the summer so I'm blaming him) my truck continues to have issues.
Today, my vacuum pump pulley ceased up on me. I picked up a new pulley and pulley puller kit only to find out 2 problems.
One, the pulley wasn't the problem but the bearing in the vacuum pump behind the pulley.
Two, the pulley didn't come with a new bearing, which I had totally assumed it would. Damnit.
So, I'm wondering is can one get the bearing itself or do you have to buy a whole new vacuum pump? (****)
If a whole vacuum pump is necessary is it diesel specific or did Ford use the same vacuum pump on all trucks?

1995 F250 4wd 7.3L PSD A/C serpentine belt.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's the pump.
I bought whatever orielly or autozone had.
Some can be swapped with the idi, but the holes have to be drilled.

Put the bolts in the holes of the pump before pressing the pulley on. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, I realized the bolts needed to be put in before the pulley was pressed back on when I took the whole pump off (i removed the whole thing from the truck) and the bolts would not fall out because of the pulley.
When you say you bought whatever O'Reilly or Autozone had are you meaning you bought what their computer kicked out for your truck or did you buy a generic part?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Computer lookup.
I just looked online on both sites, and can't remember which one I bought. I don't remember paying that much. Lol

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're both showing about $130. I took my apart (what did I have to loose at this point?) and even to me they look like they would be pretty simple to rebuild. I'm no expert, but it seems the only problem with mine is the bearing behind the pulley, which would be a helluva lot cheaper than $130.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Actually I do recall someone here replacing just the bearing. Been awhile ago now. Can't remember who it was.
But if you have access to a good parts guy, he could probably get you one.

Just found this for the bearing. "BTW - for future reference and for anyone that needs to know, the bearing is a common bearing, it's a 6203 17mm x 40mm x 12mm. I found one on the shelf at Tractor Supply for just over $6."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online