new problem for the old 6.9

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Seen the other day the ole 6.9 was running low on oil 1/4 from the add line. So I added oil to it. Go out this morning four days later and its right back where it was before.. No oil leaks around the truck or in the engine bay. I'm thinking the rings may be going bad. Any ideas as to how to prolong the use of the truck till I can get the money for a rebuild kit..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This could be several things. Rings are one. Another is the valve guides and seals and the last is the cdr valve has failed sucking in more oil vapor than normal. How many miles are on the CDR and on the engine. Might try an oil additive called Auto RX. It very slowly cleans the engine internals and frees up sticky lifters and rings. It can help with the valve seals too but nothing will rebuild the engine from a bottle. Many have used the Auto RX with great results too.

Bubba_891

Reaction score
I'll give it a try I hope I helps me a little.. The truck has 292,***.. And as far as the CDR I have no clue if it has ever been changed. Another note to add is when I have to get into the throttle and go on to pass a car or what have ya I smell a little burned oil smell but no smoke..

Bubba_891

Reaction score
ok so before I go to the store and get more oil and order the AUTORX. I done a blow by test by taking the oil cap off when the truck got up to operating temp. WEll here are the results... White Smoke like a dang chimney. now from what I have collected and read about this is bad and means my rings are going out. can anyone help me to confirm this??

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
ok so before I go to the store and get more oil and order the AUTORX. I done a blow by test by taking the oil cap off when the truck got up to operating temp. WEll here are the results... White Smoke like a dang chimney. now from what I have collected and read about this is bad and means my rings are going out. can anyone help me to confirm this??

You are going to need to post a video of it IMO. Yes having tons of smoke shooting out could mean your rings are going out finally especially at that mileage, but showing a video will be a million times easier to get a good opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle