New noise, New concern

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
After replacing the wonderfully worn out autocrack glow plugs wit new zd9s( and finding out they are actually smaller diameter points then zd9 plugs which allowed carbon to build around them... much fun *eye rolls* ) I now have a few new issues, first being an increase in blue smoke and a random knock. The smoke I can kinda deal with as it clears up a little after I pass 150* eng temp. The knock however has me worried. Its not loud all the time nor is it consistent, it die however seem to be comming off the pass side of the engine. Now while I was in there I did fuel pressure test at the filter head and at idle got 3.5-4 psi with heavy needle bounce (still on mech pump) with no change at hi idle no load. Im going to try and get cold start and warm idle video of the truck to assist with diag. Any input would be helpful as I need to make this thing last till I have the time/money to get my Volvo up and running.

Truck info
88 7.3idi NA
3" exhaust
Soup bowl mod
Fuel turned up 1/2 flat
Bb code injectors

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Being that it clears up after it's warm, makes me lean towards valve seals of possibly piston rings.
The knock could be a piston skirt. Not common but I just tore one apart like that. Ran fine, just a knock.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Being that it clears up after it's warm, makes me lean towards valve seals of possibly piston rings.
The knock could be a piston skirt. Not common but I just tore one apart like that. Ran fine, just a knock.

Well I guess that's good news.... I guess my next question is what should I watch/listen/feel for. Cause that knock being the skirt means piston slap to me, or is that not the case

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I guess that's good news.... I guess my next question is what should I watch/listen/feel for. Cause that knock being the skirt means piston slap to me, or is that not the case
That's exactly what it was. We got the engine for parts and were tearing it apart. So I'm not sure what to look for. Maybe loosen one injector line at a time and see which one kills the noise.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
That's exactly what it was. We got the engine for parts and were tearing it apart. So I'm not sure what to look for. Maybe loosen one injector line at a time and see which one kills the noise.

I know this may kind of sound like a rookie question but if you lossen the injector line while the truck is running will it squirt tons of fuel out? Or jus barely dribble?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know this may kind of sound like a rookie question but if you lossen the injector line while the truck is running will it squirt tons of fuel out? Or jus barely dribble?
Depends how loose you get them. Just slowly turn it and wrap a rag around the bottom of the nut.
I've never had one go all crazy, but better safe than lose the tip of a finger.
Listen for a change in idle, when you hear it, it's loose enough.
Just play around with it until you get a feel for the sound changes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online