New member with a not so new truck

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I am new to the board... A while back I got an 84 F250 4x4 CC. It will not be a daily driver... I will use it to haul materials when I cannot take them with my car as well as desert trips. The first big trip I took it on I had a bunch of problems... overheated it and ended up having the radiatior, water pump, and thermostat changed on the road. I should have seen that one coming as it was showing signs of cooling problems prior.

Now I have what I guess is exhaust leaking into the coolant... the coolant overflow tank is constantly bubbling when the truck is running... but there is no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. I am guessing that this means at least a new head gasket and I should prolly replace the studs while I am in there. I understand that this job is easier with the engine pulled... any other work I should do while I will be pulling this?

Any advice in general? This will be my first engine pull from a car and my first time doing really major work on a diesel. I have done extensive work on motorcycle engines and the like... but this will be bigger than what I am used to. Thanks

Attachments

• P1010026s.jpg
    P1010026s.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Heavy duty equipment to handle it!

Welcome aboard,
In addition to gaskets and studs, I would at the very least do the oil cooler while it is out as well.

Probably in the near future you should plan on an injection pump and injectors unless they are low mileage. Thermostat should get changed as well. Personally, I don't go to all that trouble without new hoses and belts as well, just for peace of mind.

Also glow plugs. The norm here is Motorcraft and only motorcraft. Others have had good luck with Wellman and Bosch, but don't use Autolite or Champion. The tips tend to swell and break off upon removal, causing the heads to have to be pulled to get the tips out or risk trashing the motor. Your gonna have the heads off, nows the time to do it, even if they are new Autolites or Champion, I'd replace them.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I plan on getting a 2 ton engine hoist and the stand... I am not too sure about... I will likely reinforce it.

The oil cooler... What needs to be done and why? I checked tech articles and did not see anything

THe injection pump, I will check into. I do not know the miles as the odomoter/speedo/tach do not work. Is there any way to check for wear?

Rubber will be changed

Glow plugs... think it has newer autolites... I'll swap 'em.

Thanks

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I plan on getting a 2 ton engine hoist and the stand... I am not too sure about... I will likely reinforce it.

The oil cooler... What needs to be done and why? I checked tech articles and did not see anything

O-rings on each end. The center core bundle, presses into each header and seals with o-rings. The o-rings are getting scarce for the older ones, but I believe they are still available, possibly from IH. There are posts around about doing them. Might check the tech articles, which I would recommend before you do anything. There is a write up by Mel (Agnem) about head gaskets as well I do believe.

THe injection pump, I will check into. I do not know the miles as the odomoter/speedo/tach do not work. Is there any way to check for wear?

Pumps are spendy, but are considered to be 100,000 mile or so maintenence items. You can change it out on the truck though, it's right on top of the motor.

Rubber will be changed

Glow plugs... think it has newer autolites... I'll swap 'em.

Thanks

Good idea on both counts. I would also have the heads gone through. My local machine shop quoted me $200 to do a valve job, check the surface and refinish if need be (must stay within a minimum thickness on the heads as well. I would ask any machine shop if they know about it, if they don't, walk, no run away!) Guides are often worn as well. The $200 I was quoted included new guides as well and they would be cleaned. Be a good idea to remove and replace injectors as they thread into the head, but if you can't afford it, you can do it later as well. Don't know your budget, but things are pricey for these engines compared to gassers, but if you worked on bikes, you know how that goes!

2 ton should handle it as well. Most say these engines are around 1000 to 1100 lbs with accessories, so you should be good! Just watch you don't try to reach too far with the hoist, these engines are heavy enough to upend them pretty easy!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Welcome to OB! It sounds like mine when I got it, I waited to long and cooked it. Had to go with new heads. I did mine in the truck, I won't do that again.:puke:

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
getting my hoist and engine stand tonight...the stand will take some reinforcing but for $165 delivered with a sling.... not bad (i think)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online