New member! New proud owner!

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all new member here on the forums! A week ago I purchased an 87 F250 w/6.9l for $1000. Runs and drives great! Thoughts and opinions welcomed!

- Engine and trans both have around 50k miles, rebuilt.
- ATS 093 turbo kit installed (Garrett turbo)--not sure if its a good turbo or not...looks small?
- Intercooler
- Shift kit installed/built c6 tranny
- Pyrometer and trans temp gauges...still need boost gauge

- Near perfect interior
- Dash replaced with mid 90's dash
- New paint 5 years ago

Has been sitting in a barn for 2+years.

Needs another battery and fuel/water separator filter replaced. Fuel return lines will be replaced as it seems like they are leaking slightly.

Attachments

• 6.9l.jpg
    6.9l.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 155

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the garrett a wastegated turbo or should I uprgrade to a different turbo?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
look on the side of the turbo, if there is a canister looking thing with hose coming from the compressor side and linkage connecting to the exhaust side then it is wastegated. drive it for a while and see how you like it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. No need to upgrade the turbo but if you want that please contact either typ4 aka Russ or Egnem aka Mel about turbo upgrades. Both do fine work and willnot take your money and laugh if you have questions later. Mel owns Conestoga Diesel Injection in Pa. Russ is a fine privateer doing great work with turbos for us here and around the world. Actually they both sell around the world. They are the best at what they do. Nice looking rig too. As for the leaking returns both sell those fine kits too.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I'd say that's a dang good find! Would love to see pictures of the intercooler setup. Welcome.

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok yes it is a wastegated turbo and as for the intercooler it is in a really tight spot in front of the radiator, hard to get a pic right now. Here's a pic under the hood, pretty generic. Plan on having a custom intake made to replace the box, as well as many other injection pump/injector upgrades, exhaust...etc

Attachments

• 20131007_190013[1].jpg
    20131007_190013[1].jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok yes it is a wastegated turbo and as for the intercooler it is in a really tight spot in front of the radiator, hard to get a pic right now. Here's a pic under the hood, pretty generic. Plan on having a custom intake made to replace the box, as well as many other injection pump/injector upgrades, exhaust...etc

Welcome to Oilburners and thanks for joining, take a look through the FAQ and Tech section and the Hall of Shame as well.

As far as I can tell, that's an aftermarket ATS turbo 093 model, not sure if it's got the 3" DP and improved outlet or not. From what I see though sadly there is not intercooler on it. I"m not seeing any plumbing for an IC what so ever for that setup. Looks like the turbo spits into the hershy kiss intake hat in the stock location to me.

Regardless of IC or not and so forth for 1K that is a damn fine rig for certain!

Again welcome to OB

Al

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm sure you are correct as I don't know a whole lot about this set-up. When I bought it I was told it had it so I just went by what they had said. I do plan on putting an intercooler on it then later on. And Thanks! I think I will be very happy on this site!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like riot warrior said, no intercooler on there, or at least it's not hooked up. There may be an intercooler mounted in the grille, but it's not hooked to anything. Maybe you're seeing the AC condenser?

Either way, it's got a nice ATS aftermarket turbo, and if it runs and drives, $1k is still a great deal. A little elbow grease and some TLC, and that truck will serve you well. Congrats!

Ryan

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a 3 or 3 1/2" exhaust all the way back as far as I can tell. Not sure if that's stock or not, would like to do a 4 or 4 1/2" to a 5" tip

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also very interested in a matched Moose IP and injectors...would like to really liven this ole boy up! Any noticeable performance/mpg gains or smoother running?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So this is not intercooled.. Well from the under hood pic thats correct but it could still have one mounts and just not connected. I see all the hose clamps on the return lines just back of the fuel filter. Also see some missing senders on that 7.3 filter head. Those your going to want to replace and connect to the wireing harness that year truck has. You want the water in fuel sender found on the bottom of the filter and the fuel filter lite sender thats found on the farthest back fitting location on the filter head. The filter lite tells you the filter is dirty and your injection pump is sucking more fuel than it can supply to the pump. That causes a vacuum in the supply to the pump and its not a good thing. Typ4 aka Russ in Oregon can rebuild that turbo and upgrade it. Mel aka agnem owns Conestoga diesel Injection in Pa and can make you most any Moose pump you want plus injecters. Both of these members are good people that do a fine job. Never any issues like the cheapa$$ ebay sellers.